600 scorpions terrify train passengers

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Train passengers in southern China screamed in terror when more than 600 scorpions escaped from a cardboard box.

China Daily, quoting Guangzhou Daily, says a passenger violated railway regulations by taking the scorpions onto the train from Guangzhou to Chongqing.

The scorpions climbed out of the box when the train arrived in Zhaoqing, frightening everyone in the carriage.

It took more than 30 minutes for the railway police, crew members and some passengers to catch them all.

The passenger with the scorpions had bought them from a scorpion farm after reading that raising scorpions was a profitable industry.

He was taking them back to his home town of Sichuan to set up his own farm, the newspaper said.

Source

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very interesting. While scorpion rearing is a lot of things, I don't know if I've ever heard anyone refer to it as "profitable" before. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think in China they use them in cooking and in folk remedy's. I don't know how profitable it is to raise scorpions on that large of a scale, but apperently there is money to be made.

biznacho

Milo

Arachnopeon
i've been dpoing a lto of thinking about it and you could succeed in arachnid breeding as well as any other entrepreneur in any other field. if you were cut-throat and professional about it anyways. find competitive advantage, eliminate competition, and constantly expand.

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just dont see it. the amount of time space and feeding would eat the profits. youd have to keep your day job.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OneSickPuppy said:
i just dont see it. the amount of time space and feeding would eat the profits. youd have to keep your day job.

If you did things right like raise your own food and invest in some cheap enclosures then you might do alright. That does depend a lot on if you can supply enough species though. There are quite a few dealers online that I have ordered from but very few have many scorpions and if they do a lot are the same as the others. I would rather order from someone who can give me low prices and 5x+ the selection of species with quality service. I dont see it taking much to hurt most of the competition.

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a pet store here sells their emps for $6 each. i got my h. paucidens there for $10 each. of course they went up to $15 in the last month. obviously they have to be picking them up very cheap.

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

I´m pretty sure they were meant to be sold as food on a chinese market, like here, here, here and here. Large numbers are consumed every day.

Regards
Alex

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
christ. if you show a pic of a german sheperd on a stick that might totally ruin my day.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
Hi,

I´m pretty sure they were meant to be sold as food on a chinese market, like here, here, here and here. Large numbers are consumed every day.

Regards
Alex
How does one go about eating a scorp, are they cooked or raw? What can you possibly serve as a side dish with that?

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
juggalo69 said:
How does one go about eating a scorp, are they cooked or raw? What can you possibly serve as a side dish with that?
honey basted chihuahua ribs, and rat tail a la mode.

Ecilious

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mmmm, deep-*fried salt and vinegaroon flavour.

Last edited:

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OneSickPuppy said:
Really? Talk to Michael Jacobi, John Hoke, Todd Gearhart, etc. These guys live, eat, and breathe arachnids. It is their full time job, and by the looks of it, they live a pretty decent life.

Never underestimate the power of ambition coupled with a free market.

The Bear

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OneSickPuppy said:
a pet store here sells their emps for $6 each. i got my h. paucidens there for $10 each. of course they went up to $15 in the last month. obviously they have to be picking them up very cheap.
Thats amazing! I paid $18 each for my emps and that was the cheapest around here! :evil: My local Pet Land's prices are outragious, they wanted $32-$35 each for EMPs! :embarrassed: I talked to the worker and she said they have sold 4 emps in just a week at that price(obviously not scorp educated people)

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
juggalo69 said:
How does one go about eating a scorp, are they cooked or raw?...
Hi,

usually they are deep-fried.

Regards
Alex

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if im not mistaken isnt petland the name of the national chain of pet stores that sells puppy mill dogs for 700-1000 bucks? used to be solely based in malls?

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
darkeye said:
Really? Talk to Michael Jacobi, John Hoke, Todd Gearhart, etc. These guys live, eat, and breathe arachnids. It is their full time job, and by the looks of it, they live a pretty decent life.

Never underestimate the power of ambition coupled with a free market.
These guys are arachnid dealers not scorpion farmers, who raise scorpions by the hundreds of thousands. I believe you are confusing the two. I am talking about a large scale operation farming scorpions. This is something you will not see in america as we do not have an appetite for the scorpions which would sustain such an operation.