Found little spiders in my room; tarantulas??

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Last night I found seven little spiders all over my ceiling and carpet. At first I thought they were just MM spiders from outside that made their way in through my open windows. But when I captured them and looked at them, their body shape and characteristics seemed to resemble some type of arboreal tarantula!

Of course, them being so small, its really hard to say that for sure, but they definitely did NOT look like any 'true spider' I have seen in this area. It looked like they had scopulated forelegs, and they appeared rather 'hairy'. All of them are about 1/2" and dark colored, very skittish and rather quick for spiders of their size. Since they were all over my ceiling, they seem to have no trouble climbing the walls of my room; IME a lot of orb-weaver types and wolf spiders have trouble with smooth~ish surfaces.

Any, now for the pics!

My thought is that one of my T's was gravid without me knowing it. Well, here are the females I have that have not molted while in my care (thus could have laid a sac without me knowing),

H. albostriatum (actually laid a sac months ago then abandoned it immediately; sac dried out and died)
H. longipes
H. lividum
G. rosea (& RCF)

Hmm thats pretty much it. So do these resemble babies of any of those species? Maybe my assumption that they are arboreal is wrong. I've had the Haplos for about a year now, and none have molted in my care AFAIK. Also, I have seen the H. lividum TWICE in the year I've had her (immediately webbed up her burrow, never seen again). So, I dunno, what do you guys think?

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would definitely say they are T slings- though i have no expertise on which sp they may be, but i'll take a stab at it. from the list of possible gravid females you gave, the last 2 look like H lividum slings and the first two could pass for H. longipes slings. at that size and fuzziness though- anything goes. maybe they're mutant birds- you don't happen to live by any nuclear power plants, do ya?

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I am definitely thinking they are Haplos now. While they are much fuzzier than adult Haplos, they have the same oblong abdomen. If I can get a closer look I will compare carapace shapes and see if they are alike as well.

Also, all of the ones I caught immediately webbed up the containers I had them in.

madamwlf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, that's crazy. If you need to find homes for those lil guys, I'd gladly take a ride to your neck of the woods. :) Good luck finding out who the momma is.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If they are t's, whick ones did you mate recently or which types do you have that are WC? They look rather like t's.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah, that sounds promising- congrats, i should think! did you check the mommy tanks for squatters that may have stayed behind? did they escape through vent holes? if an entire sac had hatched- i'd say you'll be finding little surprises on the ceiling, under tables, and between furniture for days to come- just be careful and check twice before you sit down anywhere ;)

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, they kinda look like P. murinus slings :? mine sure looked like that when they were slings... and I had 7 of them.

That's both crazy and neat - I wish that would happen to me! :D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They definately look like tarantulas. I'd flip the light switch on during the night (9-10pm or later) one of these days and see if you can catch any you missed by surprise.

How do you think they got out of their mother's cage if they are ones born by your collection? :confused:

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would look carefully threw each ot the encloser.There will probably be some hiding
out.In the T encloser of the T that is responsible.

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awh there adorable, although i cant help you here, although they dont look like true spiders in my opinion.
-
I saw a cute "true-spider" the other day,
I was sat happily playing guitar, I realised there was a spider dangling mid air infront of my face. It was pink? I've ever seen a pink house spider before.
I only live in North west England, Cant have been anything Exotic.

Anyway just to finish the story, I put my hand underneith it so i could hold it, next minute it was running all over me, it went on my leg and dissapeared, i havent seen it since.

Fastest running spider ive seen so far.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I found two more, one being eaten by one of those skinny, spindly spiders that look kinda like harvestmen but with long oval abdomens, and the other in a little hole in the molding at the base of the wall of my room, so I couldnt get it out.

The thing is, the ONLY T's I have bred are my G. rosea, and none have given me a sac! All my other females have molted since I have had them except the Haplos. Or at least I dont *think* they have molted. I never tried to breed them, and was not aware of any breeding attempts before I got them last year. I actually have 4 Haplos; albostriatum, lividum, longipes, and an unkown species thats a drab brown color. I think all are female.

As cool as this may seem, these are some of the LAST species I would want running around my bedroom! Thank god my H. mac molted out after her breeding, that one would be a complete nightmare!

I have a feeling that I will be finding these guys for a while now, but I think I might have caught the bulk of the loose ones so far. I checked all the Haplo tanks, and did not see any babies in any of them. I will put all the tanks in sealed containers, though, just to make sure.

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like you and I have similar problems (except I know who the mother is).

!!!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just out of curiousity for the OP, where do you live? Is there any possibility they could be wild? :?

If not, did you happen to throw away any egg sacks you might have thought were bad?

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Just out of curiousity for the OP, where do you live? Is there any possibility they could be wild? :?

If not, did you happen to throw away any egg sacks you might have thought were bad?
I live in Eastern MD. I glanced at the 'bad' H. albo eggsac, that has been lying in her tank for months now all dry and shrivled, and I think I saw some yellow orbs, so it must have been broken open at some point. I am thinking the most likely possibilities are that either these are some eggs that happen to survive from that sac, or that my other Haplos have a sac in their burrows I never knew about.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they def look like OBT slings. Maybe you have neighbours with a OBT sac...

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
OBT slings? I do have a female WC OBT, but I have never seen her drop a sac. I actually see her often and can see in her burrow, so it wouldnt be a secret.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations on the babies...
Even though it seems you're still trying to work out the details and whether or not this is good or bad, lol, I think its exciting...
I would SO freak out if it were me!

Good luck with everything.

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they def look like OBT slings. Maybe you have neighbours with a OBT sac...
i agree with spyderowner69. i think they look exactly like obt slings. im not an expert though.
someone around you should have ton of them lol

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
i agree with spyderowner69. i think they look exactly like obt slings. im not an expert though.
someone around you should have ton of them lol
I really hope you are wrong, I do NOT want OBTs loose in my bedroom! That would actually be dangerous! :(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OBT slings? I do have a female WC OBT, but I have never seen her drop a sac. I actually see her often and can see in her burrow, so it wouldnt be a secret.
She would not have made a nice round sac for you to see. It would have just been a blob of webbing that could easily be missed. She would have never rotated it or moved it from one place to another it just sits there until it hatches.
And I agree those look like obt babies at first glance.
It would have been just like this, the sac is just below her.