First Arboreal T Need Suggestions for Enclosure!!!!

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I currently have one T (B. Smithi) and was thinking about getting another T. Since the smithi is a terrestrial T I wanted to go with something arboreal that will make webs.

I am thinking of getting either a A. Versicolor or A. Avicularia. I'm having a hard time finding out the best way to make an enclosure (to suit a juvi 2-3") for these arboreal species. I have seen some pictures of boxes from hobby stores using the search function, but I didn't know exactly how these worked. Anyone have any suggestions????

Or would just a small five gallon tank with a lockable screen lid turned on to its side work well????

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for the Help!!!!

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most people use the aquarium idea, but there are other options. I'll let someone who actually knows what they are talking about help you with that. :D

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, I actually have 2 cubes that Im working on right this very minute(Im waiting for the glue to cool).
They are about 6" square and about 12" high, with sliding screen tops that lock with a pin.
I design the deco to provide suitable webbing spots that are within tong-reach of the lid when slightly ajar.
I usually only make naturalistic enclosures, but I couldnt resist the little Tiki guy, and Im sure Ts like avics can be found near old ruins like that . . . ;)
Lots of cover up top to feel secure, a couple tight-ish places to web and a coupla not-so tight-ish places to web.
Heres my 2 new ones so far . . .

The 2 together

The naturalistic

Corkbark is narrow at the bottom, wide at top in the corner- young avics seem to love this, they always spin nice tubes there

A nice spot under the palm . . .

The hollow Tiki man, I picture feeding the T thru the eyes, with the spiders legs reaching out . . .

The rear exit/entrance

A bit of ancient ruins hidden deep in the jungle . . . perfect hiding spot for a beautiful T like a versicolor(thats whats going in there)

Twisted

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow Pacmaster, I dig those.

I'm really new to all this so I don't have a lot to add other than this is what my A. Purpurea is in. I just put it together last night with a container from the container store. He seems happy in there.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow! those are pretty neat, thats for sure! love the tiki.{D

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Twisted!

I use those same cubes for smaller Ts, various sizes as needed, then they graduate to these bigger glass tanks.

When I use those plastic cubes, I use them upside down, and your pic is the perfect example of why- arboreals naturally want to go up when wandering or frightened.

Fill the lid with substrate then glue a small piece of plastic plant or corkbark to the inside of what would now become the top.
That way, you can lift the "top" off the "bottom", and the fast little T is still in its home and wont escape.
I got pics around here somewhere of my cubes . . .

And thanks Ariel.
These are pretty simple setups here, but imagination is the only limit when making a nice terrarium.

Last edited:

Twisted

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I actually considered making it "upside down" when I did it but wasn't sure how that would work with the plant coming out of his home every time. Didn't think about gluing it to the top part. I might have to make him another one tomorrow that way.

As it is now he hangs out in the lid and I just pull it off with him in it and set it down but your way makes more sense.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You might even consider using the next bigger size up, it makes things a bit easier, and the spider can stay in 1 home for longer.

One thing that is helpful is to have whatever deco you use, tho glued into the "top", should reach and touch the substrate so crix or roaches can climb up if needed.

Glad I could help.
I wasnt the 1st person to think of this, but Ive made well over a hundred of them now . . . :D

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'm going to go out today and look at hobby lobby and see what I can come up with.
If i dont like anyhting they have to offer I may just buy a reptile case with a sliding screen and turning it on its side.
The hard part for that will be getting the substrate to stay in when i open it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If your gonna do that, Robc has a nice video tutorial about how to do it and how to make the door.
Its a little work, but they turn out nice.

Basically for starters- DO NOT get the sliding-screen lid tank, just a plain old 10g with NO lid.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As it is now he hangs out in the lid and I just pull it off with him in it and set it down but your way makes more sense.

This is because you just put the sling in, once he acclimates and starts webbing, I can ALMOST guarantee it will web near that lid and youll have to mess up the web every time you open it.

And note that this upside down cube method really only works with the cubes that have the deep lids.
The really short, shallow lids cant really hold the substrate.

PyroYuy

Arachnopeon
Now I want to get an a versicolor... I'm already hiding one T from my gf, I don't think I'll be able to hide something so colorful from her though. She knows about my G Pulchripes, but not the LP... Sigh.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now I want to get an a versicolor... I'm already hiding one T from my gf, I don't think I'll be able to hide something so colorful from her though. She knows about my G Pulchripes, but not the LP... Sigh.
Hiding tarantulas is not a very good idea IMO. It usually results in bad things happening. If you have to hide it, then it's not really worth getting it in the first place.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Yo, don't lie to your gf

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It'll eventually become really difficult to keep that LP hidden. :biggrin:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It'll eventually become really difficult to keep that LP hidden. :biggrin:
not quite..iv had mine a yr, my girls about as big as my hand, and my arachnophobic household does not know i have ANY T's..granted my snakes keep them from coming in my room lmao.. buuut if she knows you have T's and looks in on them... you're screwed lmao

Last edited: