Zebra Knee??

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
I've looked everywhere, and can't id a "Zebra Knee", at the local petshop. Its over all body color is a lightish brown, no reddish hairs anywhere. Could this possibly be a A. seemani?
Peace, Light & Eternal Love...
Gillian
)0(

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ceris. Our A.seemani was a very light honey tan and brown. Orange spinneretes.
She molted to a dark chocolate but is lightening again.

Attachments

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i bought my seemani as a "striped knee" and i looked it up and they're also called zebra knee

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As for common pet store stock, A.seemani is the most likely species to be referred to as "zebra knee". I've seen them labelled as "zebra leg" and "stripe knee", so it would not surprise me if a pet store mixed the two common names. I sure wish these pet stores would get a clue and start using scientific names!!

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Telson
As for common pet store stock, A.seemani is the most likely species to be referred to as "zebra knee". I've seen them labelled as "zebra leg" and "stripe knee", so it would not surprise me if a pet store mixed the two common names. I sure wish these pet stores would get a clue and start using scientific names!!
Telson....IMO...
I agree, they should all have a general code list where they all use the same names....... it really sucks when you have one certian thing and someone else gets ahold of it and has the exact same thing and just renames it:mad:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Thanks all..Nixy? Thanks for the pic..The Zebra markinga are identical, but the color is a bit dark. I'm going to take my digi cam, and try to snap a pic. I really like the lil bugger, and want it. But, I want to make sure I care for it correctly. :)
Peace, Light & Eternal Love..
Gillian
)0(

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
The Zebra markinga are identical, but the color is a bit dark
The colors usually wash out and fade over time until its next molt and then it usually looks quite dark/black (even the brown morph version darkens up quite a bit). Could be that yours has recently molted and its colors will become dull and lighten over time. I agree with Nixy, look at the underside and the spinnerets. On A. seemani, they'll be light tan to orange colored.

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would also have to agree with A. Seemani.That is what most pet stores carry.I have a smaller one that is light in color and a large one that is very dark.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hey all..
Thanks..:) I think, I'll get the wee one. Size? Maybe 3 inches. Hard to tell, as its curled up, legs tented covering the eyes. Of course, no hide..:( :mad: (I know, pity buys are a bad thing)
I feel sorry for it, and, its actually very pretty. But, it'll have to wait, as my mom is very ill. I need to stay here, and take care of her..:)

Peace, Light & Eternal Love..
Gillian
)09

Kristen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We "rescued" an A. Seemani from the pet store and it was labelled as a zebra knee as well. It has become one of my favourites and I am now looking after 6 slings. Enjoy yours!

Kristen

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If I recall correctly, and if it hasn't been changed in the past few years since being told of this, there are two color morphs of A.seemani, each from a different region. One is a light brown, the other almost black. The latter of the two was for some time refferred to as "true Zebra" from Costa Rica. That is what I have. Here is a pic.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are a few color variants of A. seemanni. It depends on the location they are from, one form is brown with the leg striping, the other is black with the striping. Also, the black ones fade alot before a molt.

Andy

Gregg1LE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Telson
If I recall correctly, and if it hasn't been changed in the past few years since being told of this, there are two color morphs of A.seemani, each from a different region. One is a light brown, the other almost black. The latter of the two was for some time refferred to as "true Zebra" from Costa Rica. That is what I have. Here is a pic.
Yours looks just like mine. I read on another board that they can have "monsterous" attitudes-mine is gentle as a lamb...what is yours like?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ceris is a general spaz one day and a psycho the next. They are fast for terrestrials IMHO. At least ours is. She can get up and Truck when she gets it in her mind to move. Loves to burrow and generaly burry her water dish then sit on it as if she can't figure out where it went.
Then try and eat me when I go to dig it out.
I Love the species. :D

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Almost four inches of seemanni-tude. :D
A Wonderful eater. The feeding responce form her has Never been dull. She is Very active and very visable.
Though she burrows alot she spends very little time In her burrows. But topside waiting for food to rain.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kewl.:D

Mine is a solid 6". I changed her enclosure a while back, and she had made extensive burrows through the substrate and was spending all her time down there for weeks before she molted last. I set her up with about 2" of aquarium gravel for drainage and a layer of bed-a-beast over that, based on a thread I read some time ago just to see how it would play out. I provided a ceramic log aquarium decoration as a hide. She went in to that and refused to come out for about 2 weeks! You'd think this T was a Haplo the way it stays hidden! Seriously finicky about eating too. I pulled the log out a while back and without a place to hide from dinner she decided she may as well eat it instead, so now she's back on feed thankfully.

I'm thinking of breeding her if I can get a male.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't mind breeding Ceris. One day perhaps.
If a male becomes avaliable.