Questions for Brazilian Black owners

Rabies_Kitten

Arachnopeon
I'm a newbie in here (suprise..) and I've been looking for a beginner's tarantula. I've been thinking (and probably getting one) Brazilian Black.
I've heard that it's pretty expensive so I want to hear about your experiences..
Are males more docile if handling? (meaning if cleaning the tank)

And so on, thanks for now...

-Rabies Kitten-

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G.pulchra is well known for it's docility..males/females..slings/adults.An excellent choice for a beginner spider.Very reluctant to strike/bite whether handling or cleaning enclosures.Docile..nice jet black coloring..good display species..hardy and easy to care for.Only one drawback,they are very slow growers,taking forever to reach adulthood from slings.Actually slings/juveniles aren't that expensive but an adult female may be up in price.Get one...nice spiders!...peace

>>although G.pulchra is known for it's docility,it's still a spider and quite capable of biting.One should learn to recognize signs that a spider is upset/angry..in general just not wanting to be messed with.Threat postures such as rearing up are a good indication to leave it alone and try again later.Most spiders tend to be more defensive/aggressive in their enclosures...protecting themselves and their territory.

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rabies_Kitten
I'm a newbie in here (suprise..) and I've been looking for a beginner's tarantula. I've been thinking (and probably getting one) Brazilian Black.
I've heard that it's pretty expensive so I want to hear about your experiences..
Are males more docile if handling? (meaning if cleaning the tank)

And so on, thanks for now...

-Rabies Kitten-
Hiya..:)
Mine is very docile although, a bit spazzy, at times. It has taken her a long time to grow. She goes through periods of absolutely wanting to eat everything in sight, followed by, scarecely eating. Sometimes a bit nervous about being caught, but once on the hand, she's fine.
Fresh out of a molt WOW! Gorgeous! I highly suggest them.
Peace, Light & Eternal Love..
Gillian
)0(

Rabies_Kitten

Arachnopeon
Thank you.

Is it possible to order from abroad to Finland one G.Pulchra? Cause I think our petshops just have Brazilian Black And White...

-Rabies Kitten-

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hmmm...
This I'm not sure of..:)
Peace, Light & Eternal Love...
Gillian
)0(

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Kitten..........

Originally posted by Rabies_Kitten
Thank you.

Is it possible to order from abroad to Finland one G.Pulchra? Cause I think our petshops just have Brazilian Black And White...

-Rabies Kitten-
They are one of the most docile Tarantulas. You should be able to order one from somewhere around Europe................maybe Germany, or somewhere closer.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My G.Pulchra shows no aggression or defense. Its doctile from what I can tell mine is 1.25" (going on a molt)

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
We have another regular here from Finland, perhaps he can tell you where he buys his T's? His name on here is Pronty, send him a private message.

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
Originally posted by LPacker79
We have another regular here from Finland, perhaps he can tell you where he buys his T's? His name on here is Pronty, send him a private message.
Thanks LP for referring to me. :D

Yup, I ordered my G. pulchra from HCH in The Netherlands. They usually don't ship animals by mail but they made an exception for me because I had ordered from The Netherlands before with good success.

..Oh yeah, you should also check out the Finnish herp forum, www.herppi.net. There are also other Finnish T people there. :)

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with everyone else on the docility of G. pulchra. Mine has never attempted to bite but, it is a bit hyper, it likes to run alot and not sit still when taken out of it's enclosure. I would however highly recommend this for a beginner T.

Andy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Docile, yes. My girl is a bit nervous, but not in the slightest aggressive. She's such a hog that, she'll eat from tongs. (I'm not brave enough to use by bare hands..=D) She'll take what I offer her, getting a preogressively bigger and bigger lump of prey near her mouth. She'll continue sitting there, waiting for more, until I close the lid..:)
Peace, Light & Eternal Love..
Gillian
)0(