Finally found an Argiope in my "home range"

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been keeping my eyes open for one of these sexy girls for a while now to no avail. Finally one turned up in a bush at my dads house. {D

IMO these are some of the most beautiful spiders around and I can't get enough of them. It is in this spirit that I share with you, dear friends the following pictures.

Baby got back:

Her habitat: wide shot. This is the one damaged bush in a big circle of nice round boxwoods.

Her habitat: closer. Note that her web is just a few lines right now. I guess she's building another this evening.

Debris below her web: See the black mass above-left of center? Those are some big dragonfly wings. I suspect they have something to do with the webs absence and her fatness. Much fatter, in fact than she was just last Sunday.

I'm watching her for a sac. None are visible yet.

Enjoy!

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Excellent pictures (especially first one) and report!

For the record (I'm sure you already know this), the spider is Argiope aurantia (Araneidae). Have you found any of the tiny males hanging around?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks jsloan. I though my local species was A. aurantia but wasn't really certain. I haven't seen any males but also haven't really looked. They're very tiny you say? Same basic coloration?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what a beautiful girl. I've been looking around, haven't seen any though. :eek: although, I can just look at my back with a mirror. :rolleyes: but its just not as awesome as the real thing.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yeah, the males are miniscule comparatively. how big (legspan) was the female and how wide was the web do you think?

very cool btw.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't see any males around but then again, I wasn't really looking for them. It appears they're much better camouflaged than the ladies.

I'd estimate her DLS was between 2.5" and 3". The top opening of that bush was maybe 2-2.5 feet across. I'll be going out there this weekend and see if I can get a good picture of the web.