OBT Communal Experiment

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello people.

I have just received 15 Pterinochilus murinus 2i sacmates, with the intention of creating a communal.

They have never been separated, they were even shipped together.

I am going to keep them in an acrylic cube measuring 7"x4"x4".

Will post pics soon.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have put them in the container.

They have lots of hiding space, but they seem to want to be near each other. :? They're currently huddled together in about 4 different groups, the largest has about 5 of them together. I only see one loner.

I forgot to put ventilation!!! 8-O

Good thing I got an extra cube! I think I'll just out ventilation on the lid.

I will upload pics soon!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! Best of luck, will definitely be looking for the pics

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Should be fine, I've got a few OBT communals right now, first one I started was 3 sac mates that were 1" and had been kept apart, but I tossed them in together anyways, They all molted once and are about 1.5" now and getting along just fine, Then I have two others I just started of 2nd instars that had been kept together and I have 6 in each of those, all getting along just fine and are locking themselves up for the third instar molt.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive never heard of OBTs being communal,but ive heard they are more tolerant than many other Ts.
let us know how it goes!

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just checked on them this morning, they have made 2 large web tunnels, both within 2 inches of each other! 14 of them are in the web tunnels, the larger one has 10 of them! This is awesome! lol

I'll post pics soon, I'm still looking for that thing to upload pics. :p

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have almost all mine (about 100) from the same sac together, and I haven't observed any casualties yet.

They're actually in a large deli cup with paper towels right now; no substrate and no greenery. Just paper towels. Fed them all last night and they had no trouble figuring out what was food and what was not. I may have to beat Warren to the pics on this thread...

I'm going to keep them all like this (they're 2i right now) until their 3i molt, then they will probably need to be transferred. I have no intention of keeping this communal long-term; it's just easier right now to keep them this way for feeding purposes.

--Joe

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK, I PROMISE I'm gonna upload pics, I just have a little battery in my camera left, I'm gonna go take a few more pics. lol

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my communal OBT group I didnt' have any deaths until they were pretty much mature. I think the first to die was a MM. So in my experience, the slings/juvies get along better than the adults.

But what I really wanted to say is, WE NEED PICS!

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my communal OBT group I didnt' have any deaths until they were pretty much mature. I think the first to die was a MM. So in my experience, the slings/juvies get along better than the adults.

But what I really wanted to say is, WE NEED PICS!

Yes that's what I've heard too, is that everything is ok, until the males mature and start knocking on the wrong doors, so I'm waiting for mine to get bigger and takes out all males before they mature.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, hold on, it takes a little while to load pics on photobucket, I have a slow computer.

They're loading!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It takes 20 minutes?

You're slower than you appear, Warren...

:}