Big Oranges xfer.

MorganD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Big Orange, my OBT, was a burrower and the time came and went to transfer (what looks to be a 'her') to a new enclosure. However, the way I did this was strange and definatly not how I planned it, and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with burrowers.

Being that 'she' was down in her hole, I was going to weasle a straw through the substrate and poke at the back of the burrow and try to con her into coming out and into the catch cup I had over the entrance. After a few feeble attempts at this, I decided to just carefully try and dig the burrow up without loosing my face to a blur of orange fur and fangs.

The strange part, and the part that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced, was when I was tugging on the webbing near the entrance...the ENTIRE burrow came right out of the ground like a big web, dirt covered sock...spider in the bottom and all!

After realizing what was going on I just put the entire burrow in the new enclosure, and she came bolting straight out - I plucked the uprooted burrow out and promptly closed the door. Done deal. Haha..so yes, has anyone ever had this happen while doing a transfer or uprooting of a burrowed T?

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
better off gently pouring water down the burrow.....do that next time.....a lot easier
paul

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never experianced this (as I'm still a newbie, and haven't owned a burrowing species) but it would make sense since they line their burrow with silk.

kman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This has happened transfering my N. chromatus. I find it happens especially easy if your spider has burrowed in dry substrate such as coco fiber. The web tunnel is much stronger then how it sticks to the coco fiber.

So yes it has happened to me as well and yes I agree that gently "flooding" the enclosure works better :)

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It may be "good to know" but no one else with experience of burrowers would have went through what you did......they would have just poured water down the burrow.....so I can't answer your question because I have never seen what you saw.
Hope this helps in an unsarcastic way

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That definitely reminds me of my little L violaceopes. I know they are not a burrowing species, but slings/small juvies tend to burrow.

So it came time to put her in a large/tall deli cup. I tried the pouring water technique...no go, tried prodding her out with tongs... no go. So then I started to dig up the substrate gently. I was about a half inch away from her when all the sudden BAM! next thing you know the spider is half way up my forearm and still running. Luckily I've never had a phobia of arachnids so I stayed pretty calm while the spider was almost in my arm pit(made it into my shirt) I then managed to get her into my hand, closed my hand gently and placed her in the new home. haha that was quite the experience.

MorganD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol, I wasn't looking to get chastised, but thanks Spit. Thanks Kman, I appreciate the info. Good story Fred!

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! It definitely got my adrenaline going. Not only because there was a spider running on me, because that spider is also worth a couple bucks haha. Didn't want it to run somewhere unreachable.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lol, I wasn't looking to get chastised, but thanks Spit. Thanks Kman, I appreciate the info. Good story Fred!
Not having a go mate,honestly.....but if you would have tried that with an AF crawshayi......you could have had a trip to the casualty mate..
Just don't want you getting hurt. :)
paul

MorganD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not having a go mate,honestly.....but if you would have tried that with an AF crawshayi......you could have had a trip to the casualty mate..
Just don't want you getting hurt. :)
paul
Oh definatly! Considering there's 0 accountable records of a human being dying due to direct tarantula envenomation. You've been corrected on that in another thread today as well.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh definatly! Considering there's 0 accountable records of a human being dying due to direct tarantula envenomation. You've been corrected on that in another thread today as well.
I am not saying you are going to die but I have read enough bite reports,especially from old world spids where people have needed medical attention......but hey...if you think there is nothing to fear....just get your OBT which has a less potent bite than pokies for instance and have fun with it.
Just remember....although you may not die.....you will most likely suffer long term affects from the bite....cramps,nausea....to name a few
With an attitude like that,you should not really be keeping Africans or any old world for that matter

MorganD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol Spit, really. I appreciate you trying to 'help' and I'm always open for positive to positive info sharing. Just get the OBT? I already have one. As for pokies, I have 2 P. Fasciata, 1 P. Regalis and 1 P. Ornata. I'm aware of the potency and I'm aware of how skittish they are. The ONLY reason I continued with the way I was transferring the OBT was because I didn't expect the entire burrow to come out in one peice, at the time it seemed the safest and easiest way to move the spider - to just quickly place the uprooted burrow into the new enclosure.

I take caution when dealing with any of my old worlds. Next time I need my hand held, I'll definatly look in your direction though. ;)

If you REALLY didn't like the way I presented my post, you could very easily have just not replied or even discontinued to read.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol Spit, really. I appreciate you trying to 'help' and I'm always open for positive to positive info sharing. Just get the OBT? I already have one. As for pokies, I have 2 P. Fasciata, 1 P. Regalis and 1 P. Ornata. I'm aware of the potency and I'm aware of how skittish they are. The ONLY reason I continued with the way I was transferring the OBT was because I didn't expect the entire burrow to come out in one peice, at the time it seemed the safest and easiest way to move the spider - to just quickly place the uprooted burrow into the new enclosure.

I take caution when dealing with any of my old worlds. Next time I need my hand held, I'll definatly look in your direction though. ;)

If you REALLY didn't like the way I presented my post, you could very easily have just not replied or even discontinued to read.
Lets just shake hands and forget it mate....move on I say....:)
Everybody has different opinions.....if we all thought the same.....it would be a bit boring here after all.

MorganD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for everyone's replies, it's cool to see that other people have had this happen. Kind of fascinating how strong the silk can be.

I'll shake on a truce, Spit. Prost und wiedersehen.