How obvious are C. fimbriatus spurs?

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 4" C. fimbriatus gave me a threat display for the first time. Lo and behold, I see palpal emboli (I think). I still can't see any spurs, but perhaps I'm just blind. Just how obvious are the spurs?

I will try to take some pics of the emboli and spurs but it's rather difficult. The critter won't give me another threat display no matter how much I bother it! I have to gently lift the palps with a pen, but then it's nearly impossible to take a picture. :(

Karen N.
P.S. Anyone interested in a breeding loan?

sinsect

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not all species have tibial spurs. Never let the absence of apophyses trick you into thinking you don't have a mature male -- always look at the palps. If you see emboli, he's mature.
Still, pictures would be great ;)
HTH

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ultimate males of Chilobrachys do not possess tibial apophyses (spurs).
Todd Gearheart recently asked me if I had a male available, but it was sent off already. Drop him a line.
john

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK. So what is the difference between emboli and spurs?

Jon

sinsect

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
OK. So what is the difference between emboli and spurs?

Jon
Tibial apophyses (spurs) are located on the ventral tibias of leg I in certain species of mature males, and appear as small hooks, used to aid in immobilizing the female during breeding.
All mature males, however, possess palpal bulbs (emboli), which appear as swollen tips of the pedipalps, and are used to insert sperm into the female's spermathecae during breeding.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The spurs are the same thing as the hooks, aka tibial spurs, tibial apophyses. Several months ago, someone posted that this species had hooks. And FWIW, I haven't seen any changes in behavior since he last molted.

Karen N.