Has anyone experimented with see-through hides?

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm wondering if a transparent hide, like colored plastic, would fool a T into thinking he's hidden, yet allow onlookers to see him. I've tried the "burrow with a view" with success, but what about a hide? (I'm being constantly frustrated by my B smithi staying huddled up in his terra cotta hide all the time - I don't want to disturb him, but I'd like to be able to see him ...)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure the tarantula would web up the inside wall of the hide.

Privacy and shade.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I don't think it will work very well. As long as they can sense light, they will feel insecure.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would be akin to using see through curtains. I get your reasonings, but dont think itll work.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just thinking a bit here, what about a red coloured perspex type thing, they can't see red light, so it might work.

I agree with joe though that they'll web it up for sure though

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After you set your T up in her see-through hide, you can turn off all the lights and view her with your solar powered flashlight.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
None of my Smithis have ever used the hide :confused:

Does yours (you guys) use them a lot?
I have always kept them warm (80-85) and never disturb them and they seem quite well acclimated and happy, but never use the hides.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have one smithi who uses hers more than the other two; I have a big B. albo that uses hers all the time. I rarely see her out of it.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
None of my Smithis have ever used the hide :confused:

Does yours (you guys) use them a lot?
I have always kept them warm (80-85) and never disturb them and they seem quite well acclimated and happy, but never use the hides.
Mine is precisely the opposite - he remains scrunched up in his little terra cotta pot all the time and he won't come out. Even when he eats, it's like pop goes the weasel - he's molted 3 times and I've never seen him so much as flip over - all I get is the throwaway molts after the fact - I feel like Oliver Twist: "Please Mistuh T, may I 'ave sum mo' ?" :wall:

I don't ever disturb him either - maybe I should - I'm considering doing what I've read about collectors doing in the wild: coaxing him out with the gentle nudge of a paintbrush then transferring him to a bigger enclosure where I can see him more easily .... heck, I feed him and keep him safe and warm, he can put out just a little for me .... :rolleyes: ( I can already feel the oncoming tidal wave of dissent on THAT one ...)

By the way, since your smithis are so chill, do you ever handle them?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did but im not a fan of handling T's. Much as I love to, T's dont enjoy the handling. The less you bother them, the less stress,the longer and happier they will live.

But...well,I understand you want to enjoy your T too...If you gently take her out sometimes to see her and enjoy her,I totally understand...Its not gonna be the end of the world :)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is your T in a huge enclosure? Are there a lot of noise around the enclosure,light or anything that can make her feel unsafe?
Granted sometimes they just love the hide and thats about it and you dont have anything to worry about it but normally, smithis dont tend to hide so much :).

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Killy, I have personal experience with attempting to use transparent/see through hides. As stated by previous posters, you may see your spider for a day or two, but if they deign to use it at all, they will web it all up defeating the purpose. Good luck.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is the susbtrate really wet? Water dish too big?

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is the susbtrate really wet? Water dish too big?

Is your T in a huge enclosure? Are there a lot of noise around the enclosure,light or anything that can make her feel unsafe?
Granted sometimes they just love the hide and thats about it and you dont have anything to worry about it but normally, smithis dont tend to hide so much .?
The substrate is bone-dry and the water dish is a milk-bottle cap (can a water-dish be too big? Houdini is about 1 1/2 inches now, I'm estimating, because, again, the little monster won't show me) - it's a small KK, no noise, and only the indirect sunlight coming through a window in the next room - as far as I can tell I'm doing everything right ... Where have I gone wrong, Fran? :? :? or is this just the luck of the draw?

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
okay, thanks gang, I will defer to you, the experts, and not waste my time trying to fool mother nature (and my smithi) :8o

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh dont worry. Slings tend to hide more than adults and semi adult smithis.
I was just telling about those things because sometimes the T's can be scared of huge enclosures,noisy surrowndings (they feel the tiniest vibrations) and smithis dont enjoy very humid enclosures.

Im sure this is only because its a sling. When she molts a couple of times she will be hanging in the openmore often,im sure. If not dont worry! Sometimes they just love their hide and doesnt mean theres something wrong! :)

Let her be 3 inches and she will be there for you to see her :)

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Let her be 3 inches and she will be there for you to see her :)
LOL - if she gets any bigger I'll have to pry her out with a crowbar ...

okay, thanks for the pep talk, I'll be patient.

Now, about my g. aureostriata .... ;)

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A. Paysoni sling is almost never visible..

I have him/her in a small deli container (maybe 4x4x3), with about an inch of native soil as substrate, and a couple thin flat rocks in there. I propped up 1 rock on the other to create a small "house" /\ like so.. I could see through either side, but it was covered on the tops.

Within a few days he had dug out all of the material under the make-shift hide and pushed the dirt up to cover the "sides" of the pyramid. He also excavated the material under his water dish (water bottle cap), as well as dug a series of tunnels into and out of his "hide".

I actually think it's pretty neat. :)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL - if she gets any bigger I'll have to pry her out with a crowbar ...

okay, thanks for the pep talk, I'll be patient.

Now, about my g. aureostriata .... ;)
Whats going on with her :) ?