Latrodectus or Steatoda?

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is an exceedingly lousy photo of a spider I kept as a pet for awhile that was caught behind the washing machine. There are dozens of these guys in my house, and several eggsacs have hatched in the last few months so they are all over the place. I had formed the opinion they are Steatoda but i never really got to see the underside of their abdomens, so maybe someone with good eyes can tell me (no under-abdomen shot, sorry). The most distinguishing feature is hard to see in the photo, but the abdomen has a series of 'arrowhead' type markings that decrease in size as they progress toward the spinnerets.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Its almost certainly some species of Achaearanea...they are closely related to Latrodectus but have no hourglass...also know as 'common house spider'. I have them all over my house :rolleyes:

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/spiders/common_house_spider.htm

Do a google search under that genus and you will find quite a few species that look very similar...

John
];')

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Although the picture is blurry, I'm thinking they are Steatoda, based on what looks like creamy white markings around a dark abdomen.

Wade