H. gigas Communal

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard a few times that h. gigas is communal. So I'm wondering if anyone here has attempted trying this and if there was any success or failures. I've done searches seems like everywhere and found nothing but the mention of it being possible. I'd like to give it a try but not without some info to use as a guide. Thx D

Arachnocentric

Arachnopeon
H. Gigas can be communal. I've heard of and seen them. I saw one instance of a communal of 3 connecting their tunnels. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. Gigas can be communal. I've heard of and seen them. I saw one instance of a communal of 3 connecting their tunnels. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.
Interesting. Do you know if the tunnels were pre-made for them in some fashion or if they connected them themselves?

Arachnocentric

Arachnopeon
Interesting. Do you know if the tunnels were pre-made for them in some fashion or if they connected them themselves?
Good question, I am unsure of the answer. That specific Instance was at a reptile show, So its entirely possible they were premade somehow. Though I wouldn't know how to do that.

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not to put words in his mouth, but RobC told me he raised a bunch of H. Gigas till close to adulthood all in the same container and they did great. I have personally not tried it, but seeing as he didn't even have any to sell or anything, I see no reason why he would have made that up or anything. Seems like they're a good option. Currently, H. incei are the only ones I've gotten to work though. Haven't tried H. gigas.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got an H. gigas that I haven't seen in many months. I know he's an excellent feeder because I can hear the crunchy noises when I drop a cricket down his hole. And I know he's growing because the diameter of the hole gets bigger and periodically there's a molt kicked out of the hole. I can imagine the excitement of having a whole colony of pet holes. :rolleyes:

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont start with adults

dont start with babies that have been separated with their mom for too long

start with the fresh hatch out babies from the start,,,keep them together,

once you separate for a while then recombine they start eating eachother fast.

one species i took the sac away when they were eggs w legs, hatched them to 2 nd instar gave them back to their mom and they aate together and happy

this one species or individual started eating 1/4'' babies like a little treat, one by one, that was so messed up,,,then i would threw several at once and she ate all of them ahhaha, so those babies are motherless but going strong together in a separate tank.

the longest ive had them, they were close to 2.5'' leg span and there were lke 25 of them before

this time i will try to do better...but i dont have much room once they get bigger.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not to put words in his mouth, but RobC told me he raised a bunch of H. Gigas till close to adulthood all in the same container and they did great. I have personally not tried it, but seeing as he didn't even have any to sell or anything, I see no reason why he would have made that up or anything. Seems like they're a good option. Currently, H. incei are the only ones I've gotten to work though. Haven't tried H. gigas.
This is one of the best communual T's there is in my opinion, I raised around 80 together....from 2nd instar to about 4"+. I notice a lot of strange behavior.....1/4 of them had burrows the other were constructing webbing and when fed (the outsiders would take the food to the ones that were burrowed) and they would eat and the leftovers were consumed by the outsiders. I am thinking maybe the females were in the burrows and the males were the outsiders LOL. When I paired my gigas up I witnessed the MM eating off the same prey item as the female, and also sharing the same burrow. The reason I think the males were the outsiders is because the MM that I had would do all the webbing outside of the burrow and the female constructed the burrower.

Wish I would have documented this better, this was before the video's LOL

Just hatched:

2nd and 3rd instars:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The major issue I see is that these guys attain a pretty large size and dig deep burrows. To do an adult communal would require a huge tank(and you'd have to use some ingenuity to allow you to observe all of them.) I've found although my girl is shy she is always up to something.

Also, Rob, are your slings from that WC female still floating around out there? Wonder if people will try breeding them together as they almost certainly represent a true species.

Last edited by a moderator:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The major issue I see is that these guys attain a pretty large size and dig deep burrows. To do an adult communal would require a huge tank(and you'd have to use some ingenuity to allow you to observe all of them.) I've found although my girl is shy she is always up to something.

Also, Rob, are your slings from that WC female still floating around out there? Wonder if people will try breeding them together as they almost certainly represent a true species.
Those are the ones above, they were all purchased from 1 dealer so I am sure they are around somewhere LOL

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great stuff! Thanx guys. Received 3 h. gigas today and was planing on trying this out. But sorry to say the packaging was undesireable at the best and may be losing one of the gigas. I'll be posting in discussions a perfect example of how not to ship T's.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those are the ones above, they were all purchased from 1 dealer so I am sure they are around somewhere LOL
But you can't be sure if your H. gigas sling came from you as opposed to someone else?

I really think that that group should be kept seperate for interest sake.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is one of the best communual T's there is in my opinion, I raised around 80 together....from 2nd instar to about 4"+.
robc - How large a cage did you use for this? I'm about to have a 55 gallon aquarium become vacant (reorganizing my reptiles) and I'm considering setting up a H. gigas tank out of it. (An alternative use would be for vinegaroons.)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
robc - How large a cage did you use for this? I'm about to have a 55 gallon aquarium become vacant (reorganizing my reptiles) and I'm considering setting up a H. gigas tank out of it. (An alternative use would be for vinegaroons.)
I used a 75 gal and it was more than enough room, a 55 gal would work!!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I vote yay to the gigas, nay to the vinegaroons.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an AF H.Gigas and she is huge.Not too sure if I would want a stack of these running around my tank.....they are pretty evil as well.....my one is anyway and will attack anything that gets close.Her fangs are very big and as well as having a nasty venom,she is a baboon after all, she would also cause a lot of mechanical damage.
Nice spiders though.
Paul

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hopefully if you do a communal with these you'll give them a pool to swim in.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I vote yay to the gigas, nay to the vinegaroons.
That's pretty much the way I am leaning, but domestic bliss may require compromise. My wife works with vinegaroons. In defense of the vinegaroon set-up - we've seen in smaller tanks (10 gallon) some incredible maternal behavior. Even after the babies leave the mother's burrow and have dug their own burrows, at least one mother will carry food to the baby's burrow, reach down it with her "feelers" until the baby comes out, and then she shares the food with the baby. In one case the baby clamped onto the cricket that mom held, and the mother carried both food and baby back to her own burrow. The next morning, when the cricket had been eaten, the baby returned to its own burrow. Part of the value of setting up a larger container for vinegaroons would be the ability to see if the mother still does this with more babies at greater distances.

mudfish47

Arachnopeon
But you think the only way to pull it off is all from the same egg sack.Not buying from different places then putting them together