Blanket made from spider silk

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
wow, the only one existing today! i understand why, that would be a lot of hard work.

would be interesting to see the "machine" they hooked the spiders up to...

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, thats beautiful and I bet it feels wonderful. I've always loved golden orb spiders, way to go mother nature:)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
silk milkers i have seen in the past basically involved putting the spider on its back and taping spider's legs down with masking tape. then the spinnerets are tickled a bit to get some web on the finger... which is then dragged over what looked like a motorized fishing reel. when the motor was engaged the reel started to spin.... since the web was dragged over the reel it basically gets auto-pulled and wound.

they need to get improving on those spider silk goats :)

oh, and p.s. iirc, the golden color comes from some kinda waste products =P

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And here I was concerned about what the pet trade was doing to spider populations...

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You dont think collecting a spider, milking a large portion of its protein intensive silk, and then releasing it had any effect on the population?

How about just considering the stress of being collected and then milked? These spiders arent exactly known for being laid back...

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You dont think collecting a spider, milking a large portion of its protein intensive silk, and then releasing it had any effect on the population?

How about just considering the stress of being collected and then milked? These spiders arent exactly known for being laid back...
By reading the entire article it seems to me there's a huge population of these orb weavers in Madagascar. If they collected over a million different spiders, and even 10% of them died for whatever reason, it's not like they wiped out the population.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm sure the population is in no danger of being "wiped out", esp. considering what a labor of love this was! Still, must of had some impact and doesn't seem altogether humane.

I can just see some despot deciding that this the ultimate "royal cloth" and demanding garments and rugs being made out of it! Probably would of definitely happened in earlier times if they had worked this out back then.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just read that the other day, man I wonder what it feels like. I'd love to have a tiny little cloth. But 4 years is...way too long. Makes you wonder how a one of a kind cloth like that would sell for.