new to true spiders.....

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually keep T's and scorps but I have been thinking of getting a true spider, I want something really defensive and large if it webs that would be great to. I was thinking of getting a wondering spider and would like to know which one is the largest?

I'm not settled on wondering spiders and am open for any suggestions:D

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not know if they are available in the US. but the largest you can get besides P. Fera and the whole Phoneutria family would be an Acylomates.
Other Ctenid from South America are large as well, but I do not know if you could get them though.

Ricardo

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some Lycosidae (wolf spiders) get quite big, as do some Sparassidae (huntsman spiders)

The biggest Lycosidae get to about 3-4" leg span, with a quite bulky build, and the biggest Sparassidae (in the pet trade) get to about 9" leg span, and are generally quite leggy.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
phounetria definitely not the best choice in first true spider.
andy
haha i was thinking that the moment i read it {D

yeah, not the best choice. a large wolf spider would be interesting. and maybe in a little bit a latrodectus if you like big webs.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd recommend getting a Cupiennius species. They're basically Phoneutria clones without the venom. Large, defensive, awesome in lots of ways.

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont know the scientific name and it mgy already have been said...the golden orb weaver ? Dont even know where to get one though...maybe someone can point us both to a vendor haha...please

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So all of the dealers that I use only certian species of crab, huntsman and wolf spiders, can any one direct me to a dealer that sales wondering spiders in the U.S.? if that is possible?:confused: I figured if I can handle a P. murinus and I will soon be ordering a S. calceata (because I heard it is the most defensive/aggressive T's you can order in the U.S:D ) I might be able to handle a wondering spider, or at least I hope any way?:confused:

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So all of the dealers that I use only certian species of crab, huntsman and wolf spiders, can any one direct me to a dealer that sales wondering spiders in the U.S.? if that is possible?:confused: I figured if I can handle a P. murinus and I will soon be ordering a S. calceata (because I heard it is the most defensive/aggressive T's you can order in the U.S:D ) I might be able to handle a wondering spider, or at least I hope any way?:confused:
I you mean the genus Phoneutria, I actually hope you don't get hold of any as long as you call them "wondering" spiders...

If you are referring to the genus Cupiennius, I can really recommend them. Extremely fast and fun to watch :)

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry in advance

Sorry about the confusion I was looking for a Phoneutria species, sorry for calling them wondering spiders but like I have said before I am new to true spiders. sorry if I have upset any of you on this site, I didn't know the scientific name of it.
However I would still like to know if it is possible to get them in the u.s. and if so where can I get one:confused:

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not possible to get ahold of this Sp. in the US. Most keepers are underground keepers and would only share/sell their spiders to well known people in the hobby and whom they would know that it would not be a risk in the hobby; that means people who are experienced with the Sp.

Ask more people in the forum that would have loved to have one of those, how hard it has been to be able to get a Phoneutria genus.
I would recomend you to try searching for another Ctenid, like the ones available in the US, Cuppienus Sp.

Ricardo

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i got some phounetria this year,and had no luck keeping them alive(small second instars,lost them in molt one after the other...sux).i have one large female Cupiennius,but have had no luck locating anymore.
would love to find a male salei.
good luck
andy

Last edited:

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry about the confusion I was looking for a Phoneutria species, sorry for calling them wondering spiders but like I have said before I am new to true spiders. sorry if I have upset any of you on this site, I didn't know the scientific name of it.
However I would still like to know if it is possible to get them in the u.s. and if so where can I get one:confused:
Ok, fair enough. Even though I have no idea why anyone would call them "wondering" spiders. Their common name "wandering" spiders is because they are seen wandering around the rain forest floor...

The Phoneutria genus is probably next to impossible to get hold of in the U.S., but their close relatives Cupiennius should be possible to find. Cupiennius are just as cool, get to almost the same impressive sizes and are most often more colorful.

Like I said before, I would recommend Cupiennius, Hogna, Lycosa and Heteropoda. Google those and see if you find any of the interesting :)

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dolomedes tenebrosus is an awesome spider that can be kept very much like a wolf spider(they ARE in superfamily Lycosidae after all :D ). Awesome feeding response as well. When I temporarily housed mine in a jar, she'd hit crickets literally as soon as they touched the jar bottom! {D

If you could get a half water half land setup going too, it'd be fun to offer fish once a month or so and watch her nab em!

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they are an awesome spider.
i currently have a D.triton that is very entertaining,and feeds real well as mentioned.
andy

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
alright since I cant get a Phoneutria species, I am now trying to get a cupiennius getazi or a heteropoda maxima, so does any one know where I can get them? I would settle for one or the other but would love both:drool: