H. Paucidens

Finntroll86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whats the preferred humidity for these babies? being from South Africa, i know they like it hotter than temperate(75-80f+) but I always thought they needed humidity of 60%? Which would be considered below "normal" at least for temperate conditions, am I correct with this percentage or do they like it really dry(around 30%)? Ive seen evidence contrary to both sides, Anybody have this type of scorp for a while and notice what humidity its comfortable at?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep mine in flat, hinged plastic boxes with a hole about the diameter of a dime for dropping food in, with a couple of smaller holes on two sides. I put a cap of water in corner, ..from those one gallon Arizona Tea containers. I drill a hole in the top there in the "water cap corner" and use a sprayer put on "stream" to fill up the cap without having to open the container. It gets up to around 90 in the Summer in there in the day. Prob good to have a little cool off at night. I can't give solid numbers on humidity though. It's going to be higher in the rock cracks in nature than out in the open though. Around 60% sounds good to me but don't know for sure. I've had this female and all her babies I think for 2 years now, haven't lost any the way I'm keeping them.

Finntroll86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What type of substrate do you use? I have coco fiber that was recently hydrated so the humidity is higher than i want, but with a lamp around 80f(and no false bottom) i think it will dry out fairly soon. and i threw in some stacked broken slate pieces for hides. I also believe she is gravid or in pre molt(slow, not hungry but thirsty, and pretty large abdomen) is there a telltale sign that its gravid? i heard yellow/whitish markings on the dermis between the cuticles? anyways thanks for the advice!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
On a road trip, I picked up some desert soil, the slate sounds great to me, I use flat rocks too for hides. I don't prefer to use coco fiber for flatrock scorps but people have diff experiences. It was hard for me to tell if mine was gravid or just fat. I have one that got real fat, the it got very skinny, now it's fat again.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine at around 60% humidity. I have it in my garage, so the temps are sometimes as high the 90 F or as low as 80. I'll just use a 60 watt red light when the temps drop.

I'm currently keeping it in a 5 gallon with dry cocofiber, a plastic water cap just in case it wants to drink, and a couple of flat rocks with one on top of the other (with a few stones in between the flat rocks).

It spends all of it's time between these rocks, and in fact it's pretty territorial over them. Even when I remove the top rock to clean out the droppings, it never loses contact with the bottom rock, not even for a second. I've had it for 3 months. It eats like a pig and acts normal otherwise, so I'd say it's pretty comfortable in this setup.