Heavy Pre-Molt I Assume?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got this little (1-1.5") B. smithi sling about 15 days ago from Paul Becker and he's done nothing other than sit in his corner. No eating but I have caught him in the water cap a few times.

Was starting to get worried about not eating and noticed his coloration a few days back. First it was his abdomen and now he's really getting dark all around.

Pre-Molt? Was his arrival colors just after post molt and now he's back to his old self? Since he's a new arrival and not touched food I made the assumption he was getting that feeling to molt so wanted to ask here.

Arrival color:

15 days later (taken just now)

Thanks!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You sure it didn't sneak off and molt somewhere while you weren't looking?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You sure it didn't sneak off and molt somewhere while you weren't looking?
Unless it did prior to shipment to me -or- it did and ate it but to my knowledge no, the first picture was how it arrived and the 2nd is now as of 10 mins ago..

I know they get darker in the abdomen but he's darkening everywhere so it got me wondering if he's just now fully post molt and the arrival was just aftwards?

Fangs both are black and hardened on arrival and now so if it did I hadn't a clue ;) I've not tried to feed in a few days since I assumed he was pre-molt but maybe I should try a bit later after a cricket run.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The darkening I see on the abdomen looks like new dark hair, not darkened skin. Also notice how generally fuzzier and more distinctly colored it is, looking a bit more like a smithi in the second pic than the first. I think it molted and either hid or ate it's exuvium.

Of course I could be wrong, it happens all the time.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any other suggestions?

I'm heading out for a cricket/mealworm run to see if I can find some smaller prey for the slings but wanted to check if anyone has any ideas..

Thanks all! :worship:

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The darker appearance in the newer photo could be the camera angle making the T look darker, or it could be premolt. Either way, the T is plenty fat and probably won't eat until it molts.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well the abdomen isn't hair but the flesh/skin itself..

The picture doesn't show it really and in the light, at the right angle, you can clearly see the "shine" to the exo as well, which I found odd, two slight dimples on the top of the abdomen.

As with every other time I've tried to feed (he/she is robust even today after 2-3 weeks of nothing to eat) was having none of it. Both live prey and pre-killed as I setup pre-killed stations for him to run in to.

Pinheads, small waxworms and small mealworms.. neither live nor pre-killed taken. Makes me think even more it's pre-molt so I'll just have the patience and wait it out :)

It's hard trying to explain to my 9 yr old son, who's the one the spider was bought for, why he's not eating. Now that he's seen a clear change in color he understands the physical aspect of what we hope is happening..

He also now understands `spider time` since to him 5 minutes is too long ;)

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well an update :)

Seems the heavy pre-molt conclusion was correct!

Little guy has flipped and is nearly done molting.

He looks to be handling it fine and since I've added a local humidifier in the area of the T's and brought the humidity up a bit it's seem to have spurred him into his molt finally!

I only supplemented this humidifier 2 days ago running around 70% humidity in the room.

/happy dance