ID confusion

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought this tarantula labeled "Thai tiger" at an lps. The supplier list gave the scientific name as Cyriopagopus paganus. After some research, I had what I believed to be either Haplopelma albostriatum or Haplopelma sp. Vietnam. Then I get it home, believing it to be an obligate burrower, and it procedes to web a nest in the top corner of the cage. Am I way off on the ID or is this a wacked out burrower? What's the deal?

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe the pet store was right. Great find either way, I'm very jealous.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just did a search for paganus AND longipes. There are a LOT of threads about this whole Cyriopagopus/Haplopelma longipes/longipedum/paganus/sp. Vietnam mess.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I understand that they are all very similar, but as far as I know they are all burrowers. What I don't understand is why has this one built a nest at the top of its cage?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would definitely guess Haplopelma because of the marking on the abdomen, but it does not look like our H. sp.Vietnam at all. i couldn't venture a guess as to what it IS, but it doesn't look like H. sp.Vietnam to me.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From pictures I've seen it looks most like H. albostriatum, but I can't be sure. As for alot more substrate, how would it know if there isn't enough substrate if it hasn't even attempted to burrow?

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looks like haplopelma albostriatum, very nice too!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It has 6 inches of coconut substrate. Could it be too damp?
Is it sopping wet, or just damp? If the answer is damp, then no it isn't. Haplopelmas like it a little on the humid side and dampness shouldn't be a problem.

Edited to add: You could start a little bit of a burrow yourself and guide the T to it. Ours took to a pre-started burrow immediately.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How long have you had it? Good chance it just hasn't settled in and figured things out yet (dirt is down, duh). :)

Straight moist coco fiber doesn't tend to stick together real well in my experience. I don't keep any obligate burrowers, but you might want to look into mixing it with something else so it will retain its shape better. You'll have to ask a Haplo keeper what would improve it.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its just damp. I started a burrow for it and placed a little hide over the top of it. It went in the hide, but not down into the burrow. Then it decided to climb the walls. I thought it was just exploring, but it built that little nest and hasn't moved from it since.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had an unknown Haplo "Thai tiger" for a few years. Tarantula webbing up in the corner isn't too surprising, T's do all kinds of wacked stuff. You probably don't have to start a burrow. If the substrate is right, it will be gone.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i'd let it keep the corner thing. see where that goes, could be interesting to see what sort of structure it ends up evolving into.

John

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
look at the feet
Do you mean the toes? Now that i look at it again, it does seem to have the toes of an arboreal and not a terrestrial, but i could be wrong.:?

If it is an arboreal, i am absolutely clueless as to what it might be........

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well there is the whole Cyriopagopus/Haplopelma are they the same genus and could it be that a single genus has both burrowers and arboreals thing. Pretty interesting, and frustrating not knowing the answers.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now you are trying to tell me it may be arboreal? What do the "toes" of a burrower look like? All I need to find I out is a cage 3 feet tall. Make a foot and half substrate and put some cork bark at the top and see which it chooses.