Info on this species? Maraca horida

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw this picture in AlainL's picture thread and wanted to know more about it. I have never seen this one before and always wanted a red tarantula. This one is really nice.
Anyone can give me some info including where to find one, size, type of tarantula (terretrial or airboreal) temperment and temp/humidity requirements?
Heres the only picture I found on the web. http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/gallery/images/570.php

EDIT: More pics can be found in AlainL's picture thread page 67.

Last edited:

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could probably find one in Brazil or Venezuela. LOL!

It would need it humid, if you look at the ground the dirt has cracks in it which would indicate heavy rainfall from time to time. Not to mention both those countries are known for heavy rainfall. I'll bet it flicks hairs a lot. Judging by the dirt on its abdomen and the stick in the picture, that they probably used to get it in the open, I would also wager that it is a burrower. I'm just going to guess but I would say it has a temperament like H. lividum.

I found this article for Zootaxa it isn't much.

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2003f/z00362f.pdf

I think it has changed genus several times. this is the original site that I downloaded it from:

http://www.exoticfauna.com/tarantulabibliography/Maraca.html

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL When i asked where to find one I meant where to buy one. I surely won't be making any trips to brazil anytime in my lifetime.

I did find the common name. Amazon slender leg.

Found this as well. http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/evolution/Theraphosinae/Maraca

5" leggy spider. Really pretty though. I wonder if I can get one or three:D

I know what you meant. lol@ I didn't find any places that sell them in the US but I did see some for sale in the UK on one of their forums. I didn't see the date it was posted because it was in the UK and of no help to you, unless you have an import license. So, it could have been posted along time ago.

On that link it also says one of its common names is a Brazilian eclipse.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are incredibly laid back tarantulas...not at all like lividum.

There are relatively few in captivity...as they are very rare in captivity and relatively hard to get an eggsac from.

I'm pretty sure that I have the only adult female in the US (some in Canada?)...though there are a few people with juveniles...so maybe we can breed them this year.

They originally were brought to Europe, bred by Ray Gabriel in the UK, and then made their way over here.

Chris

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are incredibly laid back tarantulas...not at all like lividum.

There are relatively few in captivity...as they are very rare in captivity and relatively hard to get an eggsac from.

I'm pretty sure that I have the only adult female in the US (some in Canada?)...though there are a few people with juveniles...so maybe we can breed them this year.

They originally were brought to Europe, bred by Ray Gabriel in the UK, and then made their way over here.

Chris
Pictures of yourrs?

And how can I obtain one here in the US?

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There were some in Canada a few weeks ago.
Dunno who has them atm.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
no one has any slings at the moment, that I know of. They've never been bred before here in the US. Maybe later this year or next year.

Chris

Miami Cracker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow that T is beautiful if somebody finds them for sale PLEASE PM me
i would be eternally greatful.:D

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully someone will have some slings. I want a few of these.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
post pics when you get it :D
I would put my order in if A. I didn't owe my dad $250 :8o and B. my dad hadn't gone nuts with anger on my when I brought my last four home. :wall:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I ordered 3. Dependant on the sizes I get I may get at least one female. (I hope)

Hey you never know, It may look real nice with more reddish brown carapace. If the horrida comes out I may buy that too.

Notice in the picture of the M. cabocla, that it states Possibly. So its not for sure according to the only documentation on the internet. I really hope for the best. Like many species of Tarantulas, the main difference of some are the coloring. Todd did state they grow 5.5" which is what the M. horrida is said to grow to.

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Notice in the picture of the M. cabocla, that it states Possibly. So its not for sure according to the only documentation on the internet. I really hope for the best.
The WC ones coming out of Guyana are M. cabocla. Some that arrived in the UK in '08 from Guyana were ID'd as such by Richard Gallon. They are also found in Brazil though... that's were they're described from.
The WC ones your getting are very likely going to be the same thing.

I will check out a few things and then explain how to tell the difference.

Eric

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The WC ones coming out of Guyana are M. cabocla. Some that arrived in the UK in '08 from Guyana were ID'd as such by Richard Gallon. They are also found in Brazil though... that's were they're described from.
The WC ones your getting are very likely going to be the same thing.

I will check out a few things and then explain how to tell the difference.

Eric
Thank you for your input. I'm really interested in what you find. Would you say the M. Cabocla is more reddish than the M. horrida.

I noticed that the horrida has black carapace with red satae versus the cabocla having a red carapace and not sure on the satae. (maybe black)