Truely a sad snake hunting night

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The recent warm up in weather down here has allowed me to get out and do a little snake hunting. And what better place than AZ to do it in, over 80 species of snakes most of which are very unique and gorgious. Well to put it frankly there are some very desierable snake here in the southwest, iv been lucky to encounter a few but there a couple inparticular that i really wanted to find. Well im out road huntin with a friend of mine last night, and were going down a rather steep mountain road that is one lane, well there was a truck behind us and when we came apon a passing lane he blew right by us, less than 30 seconds later I spoted a snake off to the left so we pulled the car over, turns out to be the snake iv been looking for, for the last couple years, a Wester Coral Snake. It had just been hit by the truck in front of us, and was still twitching when I got there. I was and still am very bummed, such a gorgoius creature. What a sorrowful night.

Sincerely,

A snake hunters Broken Heart,
Brandon

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i can empathize. ive spent 6 hours some days just hiking looking for snakes, inverts or whatever without seeing a single thing. then ill be walking back and theres some idiot brandishing a dead (enter snake of choice) like hes some sort of hero. keep looking, youll get your snake.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh, that sucks man. Sorry to hear that. Some people suck. I have been through the same thing. When I went herping in NC and Georgia, I found a few really nice snakes that were DOR such as gray rats, corn snakes, black rats, black racers (including a gravid female), water snakes, cottonmouths. But the killer was a purely melanistic hognose snake that someone had to nearly drive their car/truck in a ditch just to run over it. :(

Bry

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sucks Brandon,
I've pretty much lost my faith in most of my follow human beings. :(

Ern

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That really does suck. I was watching a rattlesnake special on Nat Geo and there was an old man on it. The old man said he went out of his way, from childhood to present day, to hunt out and kill any rattlesnakes in his area or ones he came accross at other places. When asked why he did this he simply stated he hated them. Why anyone would have this attitude towards another creature I will never understand.
Mike

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i call it "little-man syndrome". ignorant weak minded men who must destroy some lesser being for nothing other than to feel gratified that they have slain an "evil serpent". whether it is truly evil or not is insignificat so long as they can strive to keep that ignorance, like a 5 year old plugging his ears with his fingers. the snake simply becomes the scapegoat for everything the idiot hates in his life. this is why i laugh about every jackass i hear about that gets envenomated trying to kill a cottonmouth or something, poetic justice.