funnel web

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just tubbed it and thought job done....but....I checked again in his new home and no sign.......dogs,kids,Mrs.......awwww.........have to find it.
Shake the tub out and this pops out.......on my arm so I thought,pic time.....
Well it was not done on purpose but why waste the opportunity ?
Paul......enjoy.
Macrothele gigas

Last edited:

arachnochicken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You've got bigger jewels then I do . I think I would have lost it with that one . :worship:

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Insane!

So what exactly are the implications of getting bit by one of those? I hear it can be pretty bad.

Cheers

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No implications at all (mildly venomous), not so closely related to the Australian FW's (Atrax and Hadronyche), all of which are potentially lethal. Some spiders from the family Actinopodidae are also dangerous, possessing venom very similar to the above two genera (a bite from M.bradleyi to a young girl in Gatton, Qld., put her in a coma, she required Aussie FW antivenine, which worked a treat). The large M.occatoria from the Actinopodidae is also potentially lethal. Very few other mygales are that dangerous, including the Chilean 'FW's'.

Steve

Insane!

So what exactly are the implications of getting bit by one of those? I hear it can be pretty bad.

Cheers

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No implications at all (mildly venomous), not so closely related to the Australian FW's (Atrax and Hadronyche), all of which are potentially lethal. Some spiders from the family Actinopodidae are also dangerous, possessing venom very similar to the above two genera (a bite from M.bradleyi to a young girl in Gatton, Qld., put her in a coma, she required Aussie FW antivenine, which worked a treat). The large M.occatoria from the Actinopodidae is also potentially lethal. Very few other mygales are that dangerous, including the Chilean 'FW's'.

Steve
wrong mate....when was the last time you studied Japanese spids ?
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/spiders-inverts/309191-giant-japanese-funnel-web-spider.html

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
there are no deaths attributed to this spider, so there is no reason for me to think it's lethal or life-threatening. painful and some pretty bad symptoms? sure. lethal? no.

still wondering why this thread is in the T section and not in true spiders...

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are no deaths attributed to Sicarius terrosus but there you go
You obviously know being the "expert" so there you go

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Umm... Why is this in the Tarantula section?

Also, where is there anything worth anything in that thread other than the reference to a paper that was just a suggestion(no real info). All that I am seeing in that thread is bad info and spider enthusiasts that shouldnt be keeping spiders with the crap info they are spreading.

Steve Nunn knows what he is talking about and is very correct that most Macrothele sp. do not have extremely potent venom and most are not at all threats to a healthy person.

Sicarius are a danger due to venom components targeted at destroying flesh, just like Loxoscelese; these, unlike Atrax, do not have extremely potent venom that functions against mammals. Why are you even comparing the two, they are vastly different spiders(and Sicarius is not even a myg...)?

(P.s. - I find it quite hilarious that you are coming down on people for using common names and then say things like "spids")

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(P.s. - I find it quite hilarious that you are coming down on people for using common names and then say things like "spids")
HaHa this is the best part of this thread!!{D :D {D

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Also, where is there anything worth anything in that thread other than the reference to a paper that was just a suggestion(no real info). All that I am seeing in that thread is bad info and spider enthusiasts that shouldnt be keeping spiders with the crap info they are spreading.

Steve Nunn knows what he is talking about and is very correct that most Macrothele sp. do not have extremely potent venom and most are not at all threats to a healthy person.

Sicarius are a danger due to venom components targeted at destroying flesh, just like Loxoscelese; these, unlike Atrax, do not have extremely potent venom that functions against mammals. Why are you even comparing the two, they are vastly different spiders(and Sicarius is not even a myg...)?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Insane!

Cheers
An adult funnel web.....15 minutes between bite and death.....according to Ruud Kleinpaste.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spit - I just don't get you. You feel the need to "show-off" with your scorps and your 'dangerous' spids. Why? I just don't get it. I don't think anyone is in awe of your amazing arachnid handling techniques. I've seen you insult other people for NOT wanting to handle their more venomous T's, and then in another post, urge caution because Haplopelma bites have caused a death (which is totally unverified). Your elitist attitude is confounding, especially since you're not the know-it-all you pretend to be. Your non-sequiter "I only use the scientific names...", "look what dangerous arachnid I just held", and "I've been a member of BTS for so many years so I'm so much better than you" posts are just nauseating.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spit - I just don't get you. You feel the need to "show-off" with your scorps and your 'dangerous' spids. Why? I just don't get it. I don't think anyone is in awe of your amazing arachnid handling techniques. I've seen you insult other people for NOT wanting to handle their more venomous T's, and then in another post, urge caution because Haplopelma bites have caused a death (which is totally unverified). Your elitist attitude is confounding, especially since you're not the know-it-all you pretend to be. Your non-sequiter "I only use the scientific names...", "look what dangerous arachnid I just held", and "I've been a member of BTS for so many years so I'm so much better than you" posts are just nauseating.
:wall: here we go....

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+10 hats off to you jayefbe... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer

thank you! you elaborated on what i was trying to say, and said it much better. agree with all points above.

CarsinemiA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are no deaths attributed to Sicarius terrosus but there you go
You obviously know being the "expert" so there you go
That's because there are no no recorded bites from any Sicarius sp. These spiders are so isolated from human contact.

However, lab tests have shown MASSIVE tissue damage on lab rats and it's almost fair enough to say the results will be similar on humans.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lab testing also reveals that Sicarius spp. have 10x more Sphingomyelinase-D ( what makes recluses toxic ) per volume of venom than does L. reclusa.