Hatched some Cave Crickets!!

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice! I tried to breed some camel crickets, which are similar, but I think I kept them too warm. :(

Kimix

Arachnopeon
Camel Cricket/Cave Cricket/Spider Cricket all the same thing just different common names.

I keep mine at room temp, no extra heat.

Kimix

Arachnopeon
They lay the eggs in soil. I keep a small cup of damp dirt in their enclosure, and every other day or so I dump the soil and eggs into a deli cup and give them fresh dirt to lay more in

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you raising them as feeders?

Are they any hardier than LPS crickets?

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hate those things. We have them in the basement of our church, which is our fellowship hall and kitchen.

Kimix

Arachnopeon
I'm just raising them for fun, if they start to produce enough to actully feed off I would, but thats a long while off. Literature suggests these take a long time to mature. So I think overall they will be to slow of breeders and to slow to grow to be useful as a regular food item.

Also I took a new pic of an adult

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You should look up the book Broadsides from the Other Orders: A Book of Bugs by Sue Hubbell. In it she talks about her experiences raising camel/cave crickets.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OH god those scare me.. I had one I found once so I gave it to an adult praying mantis I was keeping, and the cave cricket ATE the mantis!!!!!!!! FULL GROWN adult!

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OH god those scare me.. I had one I found once so I gave it to an adult praying mantis I was keeping, and the cave cricket ATE the mantis!!!!!!!! FULL GROWN adult!
that's... awesome? I hate to say it but that's pretty cool how that spindly cricket could take on a mantis, and win. I think there's a video of a camel spider being eaten by a weta too; it grabs the camel spider with its front legs and chews it's chelicerae. Crickets are amazing insects, all Orthoptera are in general.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
have been a Mormon cricket/Jerusalem cricket? I can't imagine a camel cricket eating a mantid...

Great job! These would make neat food for tailess whips and lots of other creatures.(they are particularly soft bodied) They also don't chirp.

I bet growth has a lot to do with limited food supply.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just raising them for fun, if they start to produce enough to actully feed off I would, but thats a long while off. Literature suggests these take a long time to mature. So I think overall they will be to slow of breeders and to slow to grow to be useful as a regular food item.

Bummer. Thought I found a nice cricket fix. Hehehe! Pinheads die of dehydration too fast..

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that's... awesome? I hate to say it but that's pretty cool how that spindly cricket could take on a mantis, and win. I think there's a video of a camel spider being eaten by a weta too; it grabs the camel spider with its front legs and chews it's chelicerae. Crickets are amazing insects, all Orthoptera are in general.
jus saw it on youtube, those people are sick and id like to throw them into a firey pit.
sorry people, happening in nature is one thing but human made fights, uhhh.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
must have been a wimpy prayer.

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice ones, what do you feed them? I was told yellow corn meal is this true?

Kimix

Arachnopeon
Whats interesting about the color is I havn't seen any of them white, like when they are freshly molted and white. Odds are of course just bad timing that I havn't seen one, but its strange.

The nymphs are so far very very hardy, I still only have a dozen but havn't lost any.

I'm feeding them fish food, apples, oranges, cucumber, lettuce, crested gecko diet ect. I'm sure they would eat yellow corn meal as well, along with any of the standard cricket diets.

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks! What kind of fish food? Would gold fish food be alright?
Thanks

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are these the cave crickets that will eat their own back leg if food is scarce, even before eating another cave cricket's leg? I assume alot of things are called cave crickets.