Humidity and Temperature

Cicada

Arachnopeon
In a nutshell, the house is relatively cool (65-72 degrees) and from what I've seen, the humidity is a little low for many species of tarantula (53% last I checked). Anyways, right now I own a G. Rosea and a C. Cyaneopubescens, both which I've heard are very hardy and fare very well in dry conditions. Because I doubt the conditions are going to change any time soon (well, not the humidity at least) I was wondering which T's do well in dry, cool environments. (Something relatively cheap and common would be nice; I don't want to have to end up paying a bomb)

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brachypelmas and Grammastolas tend to be pretty hearty and do well in dry conditions. Some of them run a little expensive but if you're willing to deal with spiderlings you can minimize that.

I'm running about the same conditions though it gets pretty hot and swampy during the summer, and honestly I've never had any T that did badly here as long as I kept them with a water dish.

The only spids I really keep even half an eye on with the humidity are my slings which are too small for dishes and my T sp. burgundy (and I even let him dry out on occasion in the interest of mite control).

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with with Sterlingspider that most Brachy's,Gramma's and you can
add Aphonopelma's to the list.Thay will do well in low humidity and just by
keeping a open water dish will help raise the humidity to higher level.That
should be enough to help with your humidity problem.You can also try misting
your containers.But I don't like misting because it promotes mite problems.

Last edited: