4 and a half weeks still no molt :(

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, i got 2 salmon birdeater a while ago, @ 1 inch. both ate 1 cricket each the day I got them and then rejected food the next day. They got really dark since so obviously there getting ready to molt. It has been 4-1/2 weeks since they rejected food and still no molt. I never seen it take so long? is this normal??
Also does anything speen up the molt process? humidity, temp ect? thanks a;;

kovsejr

Arachnopeon
just be patient... it will happen, when you at least expect it ;)
about the speed molt process..i powerfeed my slings that they grow faster, i also keep them on optimal conditions, which also helps the T's to grow faster as they eat more.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel your pain, I have 4" C. shioedtei thats taking just as long as yours is to molt! She started refusing food and sealed herself in her hide about four weeks ago and so far, nothing. in the time its taken so far for her, my 2" T. gigas stopped eating and molted a week later. so I can understand how unnerving it can be.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My B. smithi was in premolt forever... my P. regalis went from hanging out on the side of his enclosure, to fully molted in less than 2 hours! Of course, I was outside at the time... lol

They'll molt.. eventually!

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My L. Parahybana has been in pre-molt for a week now and I'm worrying it's taking too long so I know exactly what you're feeling right now. I have faith it'll molt any time now : )

Audrey16

Arachnopeon
just be patient... it will happen, when you at least expect it ;)
about the speed molt process..i powerfeed my slings that they grow faster, i also keep them on optimal conditions, which also helps the T's to grow faster as they eat more.
I didnt think you were supposed to do that, Ive read that it effects the health of the T later on and they dont live as long. Is that incorrect? I only ask because ive had to restrain myself from feeding my b.albopilosum sling more than a few cricks a week (eats like a piggy) as I was under this impression.

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Powerfeeding is not good for any animal. However, many people powerfeed until their slings are at the 2" mark then feed normally once again.

I don't powerfeed but I think there have been a couple times when I unintentionally dropped in a feeder larger than I should have.

kovsejr

Arachnopeon
i haven't read anywhere that it shouldn't be good for the T..and btw..i only powerfeed mi avic slings, because they are quite slow growers..all my other pokie slings are fed normal, as the grow fast.

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Then powerfeed to the max and give us your results in a few years.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a bit long, but its fine. If its not eating now it should molt very soon. This species doesnt molt super frequently, but it grows alot with each molt.

QuantumGears

Arachnopeon
I’m sort of in the same situation. My G. Rosea's opisthosoma has been black for about a month, she's been refusing food for about three weeks. Still no molt. It’ll happen eventually. :)

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, i got 2 salmon birdeater a while ago, @ 1 inch. both ate 1 cricket each the day I got them and then rejected food the next day. They got really dark since so obviously there getting ready to molt. It has been 4-1/2 weeks since they rejected food and still no molt. I never seen it take so long? is this normal??
Also does anything speen up the molt process? humidity, temp ect? thanks a;;
I would say temperatures. Put them in a warm place and they will molt right away for you. At that age they molt really quickly. I've had tarantulas in premolt for a long time that I then put next to a red lamp for heat (just a few degrees) and they molted a couple of days later. Of course, these were full-grown. An LP at 1 inch should be able to molt like once a month almost if it is well fed.

You might also just try feeding a small feeder in case it was a fluke that they didn't want it earlier and in case you might have misidentified the signs of premolt. I've done that before.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So who knows when the spider will moult......THE SPIDER.
remain calm and as long as you are meeting the requirements for proper T husbandry, the T knows what to do and when to do it.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few of my Ts are WAY behind schedule (my schedule not theirs, please note!) for molting, so I'm afraid you and I are self-inflicted victims of the "watched tarantula never molts" phenomenon ...