Humidity and Temperature?!?!

NateTheGreat

Arachnopeon
Hi, first post... :cool: :cool:

So, I'm basically a recovering aracnophobe. I've always been fascinated by spiders but have been really freaked out by them. I've been working on getting over that recently and have done pretty well.

ANYWAYS, Ill hopefully be getting my first T soon and I have two major questions.

1- It seems like all the humidity information in the hobby is given in percentages but frankly I don't know what the hell 80% (or w/e number it may be) humidity means... how can I measure this?

2- Im aware, from the research Ive done, that heat lamps and heat pads are a huge no-no, which makes sense, SO what are some other ways I can control the temperature for the T because my father keeps the house relatively cold.

Thanks!
Nate:D

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards, Nate.

You can purchase a device called a hygrometer. Don't get too worried about exact temperatures and humidity though. Depending on the species, a few squirts from a misting bottle per week, coupled with a shallow bowl of clean water, should do nicely in maintaining the humidity at a comfortable level for your pet.
A few points to note: Do not provide a water bowl for any specimen with less than a 2" legspan. They have a good chance of drowning in this but humidity is very important for these smaller spiders as they dehydrate much easier than juvenile or adult spiders. Some species also like it very dry, such at Pterinochilus murinus, they get much of their moisture, like most spiders, from their prey but the occasional misting won't hurt it and a water bowl for the larger specimens will give them something to drink from if they want to. When in doubt about the requirements for your particular species, the search tool at the upper right of the site is very useful in finding the information you need. If you are unable to find what you are looking for, feel free to post a thread asking your questions, as you've done here.

Heat lights are a no-no, as you mentioned, but heat pads are okay provided they are used correctly. When applying a heat pad to an enclosure, put it on one of the sides (usually the back) rather than the bottom. This is because many tarantulas will burrow in order to get away from heat and this will just bring them closer to the source which may kill them. If you are going to be keeping your spiders in your bedroom, a space heater may do the trick. There are many models available. Some will allow you to set the temperature to keep the room at and will automatically kick in if the temperature drop below what you set. I use this method for my spider room. Flex Watt heat tape is another good way to control temperatures. Whichever method you use, be sure there is some sort of thermostat to cut power to the heating device if it gets too high.

One final note in regards to temperatures; Many species have recommended temperatures that they should be kept at but these are not absolutely required. Your spider will do just fine at temperatures that you would be comfortable at.

Any ideas on what species you're hoping to get for your first spider?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Hi, first post... :cool: :cool:

So, I'm basically a recovering aracnophobe. I've always been fascinated by spiders but have been really freaked out by them. I've been working on getting over that recently and have done pretty well.

ANYWAYS, Ill hopefully be getting my first T soon and I have two major questions.

1- It seems like all the humidity information in the hobby is given in percentages but frankly I don't know what the hell 80% (or w/e number it may be) humidity means... how can I measure this?

2- Im aware, from the research Ive done, that heat lamps and heat pads are a huge no-no, which makes sense, SO what are some other ways I can control the temperature for the T because my father keeps the house relatively cold.

Thanks!
Nate:D
Hi Nate :) Congrats on working to overcome your fear! Im the same as you. I have always been fascinated by spiders and yet insanely Arachnophobic. In the last few months I decided I wanted to get over it and started doing research, last weekend I brought home a juvenile G. pulchripes and have since held it 3 times :D

I don't have much advice to offer, as Im still so new, but the hygrometers are great little devices. I find the digital ones are much more precise though than the cheaper ones you can get at a pet store, we have 4 digitals for our pythons and they ran us about 12$ each so still not bad, I use the cheap pet store on for our T though as she (?) is a species who likes it dry so Im not as concerned if the hygrometer is a few % marks off. Our house sits around 70 (sometimes a little higher) degrees and we live in Ontario so it gets cold here, but lots of people here have advised me that will be fine.

Im sure you will be just like me and the addiction will grow FAST lol in the next couple weeks, we are also picking up a juvenile B.smithi and an A.versicolor sling!

NateTheGreat

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much Sathane! I really appreciate the help.

As for my first T, probably an A. avicularia, because I really like the look of all of the Avic genus, plus I want to eventually get into keeping the more aggressive arboreals.

Also, if I were to get a terrestrial I might get an Aphonopelma species.

NateTheGreat

Arachnopeon
Hi Nate :) Congrats on working to overcome your fear! Im the same as you. I have always been fascinated by spiders and yet insanely Arachnophobic. In the last few months I decided I wanted to get over it and started doing research, last weekend I brought home a juvenile G. pulchripes and have since held it 3 times :D

I don't have much advice to offer, as Im still so new, but the hygrometers are great little devices. I find the digital ones are much more precise though than the cheaper ones you can get at a pet store, we have 4 digitals for our pythons and they ran us about 12$ each so still not bad, I use the cheap pet store on for our T though as she (?) is a species who likes it dry so Im not as concerned if the hygrometer is a few % marks off. Our house sits around 70 (sometimes a little higher) degrees and we live in Ontario so it gets cold here, but lots of people here have advised me that will be fine.

Im sure you will be just like me and the addiction will grow FAST lol in the next couple weeks, we are also picking up a juvenile B.smithi and an A.versicolor sling!
Thanks, same to you! I find just learning about them has helped me greatly lessen my fear.

Oh, thats really good to know, because my house is kept at around the same temp, if not higher, plus it doesn't get that cold here in Dallas.

Shell

Staff member
Thanks, same to you! I find just learning about them has helped me greatly lessen my fear.

Oh, thats really good to know, because my house is kept at around the same temp, if not higher, plus it doesn't get that cold here in Dallas.
Me too! The more research I did the more my fear went away. In the thread I opened when I brought ours home, I was telling everyone how I even looked into open the open enclosures of a P. regalis and T.blondi at the breeders place lol Shocked myself :eek: I was still a little afraid to hold her, but I sucked it up and she was so docile that I wanted to do it again right away.

Being in Dallas, I would think your temps will be more than fine!

NateTheGreat

Arachnopeon
Me too! The more research I did the more my fear went away. In the thread I opened when I brought ours home, I was telling everyone how I even looked into open the open enclosures of a P. regalis and T.blondi at the breeders place lol Shocked myself :eek: I was still a little afraid to hold her, but I sucked it up and she was so docile that I wanted to do it again right away.

Being in Dallas, I would think your temps will be more than fine!
Ooh, awesome! :D

I'm not sure how Ill feel about handling a T, I think by now I wouldn't have a problem with it, but we'll see. :confused: The only time I get scared of spiders now is when I see them unexpectedly:eek:, I still get really startled, but then calm down and don't mind them at all.

Shell

Staff member
Ooh, awesome! :D

I'm not sure how Ill feel about handling a T, I think by now I wouldn't have a problem with it, but we'll see. :confused: The only time I get scared of spiders now is when I see them unexpectedly:eek:, I still get really startled, but then calm down and don't mind them at all.
I'm still the same if a spider surprises me. As far as holding goes, its totally up to you! What everyone told me here (and I agree lol) T's do not need or like to be handled, some tolerate it but still do not need it. We certainly are not going to make it a regular thing to hold ours. It was something I felt I needed to do for myself and since we were changing the substrate from the one she came with ( a mealie had burrowed into it :eek: ) I figured it was as good a time as any lol If you do decide it's something you want to try, don't let anyone rush you, do it on your terms and make sure to keep your T very close to the ground so if you spook etc its a very short drop. My hubby kept his hands on either side of mine the first time, just in case :)

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No problem. Any time. ;)

Great choices on first spiders too.

Thanks so much Sathane! I really appreciate the help.

As for my first T, probably an A. avicularia, because I really like the look of all of the Avic genus, plus I want to eventually get into keeping the more aggressive arboreals.

Also, if I were to get a terrestrial I might get an Aphonopelma species.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't used this stuff myself as I use a space heater in a room specifically setup to house my collection.

If I was to use it though, I'd use a wattage that would put the maximum temperature around 85F and then use a potentiometer wired into the circuit (a light dimmer from Walmart may suit this purpose) to adjust the temperatures down from there.

Is there any kind of rule of thumb for the wattage of heat tape?