P regalis

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Every day, I'm more and more convinced that my pokies are super intelligent aliens sent to earch to study humans....
Ok...but seriously, the coolest thing just happened.
I usually 'hand feed' my pokies, meaning, I either hand them food on tongs, or drop it from a distance of about a foot, and they catch it in midair.
Hence, every time I open a lid, they will come to the edge, and put their 'toes' over the edge of the lid, and sit and wait for their food.
My P fasciata and P regalis are the best and most predictable at waiting and catching their food.
Tonight, I 'tossed' my P regalis a waxworm. She caught it in midair, and instead of starting back down to her burrow, she came even further out, and sat and waited again. I wondered if she actually wanted another worm, so I tossed her another, and she caught it while the first one was still in her fangs...an amazing and impressive feat. Apparently, she decided that two was the perfect meal, and immediately headed back down the container.
I wish I had video of it, it was so amazing...
But here she is, with the two worms in her mouth.

Last edited:

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Wow thats awesome, almost like a dog sitting by its bowl when it knows its getting fed. I have noticed my baby regalis doing almost the same thing I wonder if its doing it for the same reason? anyways video would have been awesome.

TheDon

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
damn dude, how big are your Pocies?

Its gonna take me a while to trust my 3 (3 in.) regalis after I open their lids not to make a break for it. DO they ever try to run on you?

what kind of jar do you have them in? Mine always freak out when I open their deli cups.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Holley,
Freakin awesome! That is so damn cool! About the closest I come to that, is my pulchra. I can walk into the room, and she'll come out of her hide, and wait under the door.
If I open the lid, (with my cup o' crickets) she waits, right under it. The very minute I drop crickets in, she'll grab them immediately. Hmmm..I think, next time, I'll try feeding her directly. Nice regalis!
Peace, Light & Eternal Love..
Gillian
)0(

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find it endlessly facinating how these creatures will come to the feeding area and wait.
Though the closest I have come to midair feeding is our B. vagans hopping a few inches of the substrate to snag a pinky from the tongs.

Gorgeous T Holly. :) and Neat story.

:)

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a great trick, I would just like to see you toss and catch thing once!.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. Avic does the catching thing sometimes. I throw a cricket into her container really hard and when it bounces off the substrate she catches it.

Not every time but it sure is cool when she does it.

Nice pics too.

-Charlie

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I've never seen anything like this. Mine all seem to only notice food when it's walking near them. :?

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i can tweezer feed all my T's but they dont meet me at the top of there cage I wont let them get that close,unless it is my rose hair or something i know isnt gonna be a hazard if it gets loose rosehairs are somewhat slow and something like an usumbara would be a pain if it got loose i'd think.

oh yeah thats a nice looking pokie you got there did it just molt?

Josh

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I used to be able to toss crickets to my larger females this way and they'd also catch them in mid air. But, ever since the move they have been a little shy and haven't been doing it since.

My P. cambridgei females have begun to do this as well.

Jim B.