free-range t's

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive been wondering if its possible to have free range t's in your house. inmy case, my bedroom. the reason is that i dont have anything to put an avic. avic. that im going to get for a while and was wondering if this would work. if i can get it to set up a home on a potted plant will it roam at night and return in the moring or am i gonna fin it somewhere in the corner of the ceirling.

oh and what are the chances of it not being discovered by parents? :)

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would seem to me that this is not a good idea at all.

The first reason that I can think of is if it should happen to crawl on you in the middle of the night you would probably hurt it in your sleep.

Second if your parents dont know about it then if they find it it will probably meet the business end of a broom or shoe.

Third is that it seems like this would make feeding very hard. You gonna have free range crickets too? :)

-Charlie

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol of course i already have a clony under my comp desk....

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well you won' be able to control the humidity either really, and plus its just not a good idea, just wait untill one of your tarantuals gets loose then youll have a free range T but I wouldnt do it on purpose

pdrake

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i really hope you are kidding. if you do something like that, i'll fly out and smack you.;P

that would be really irresponsible. kritter keepers for that size spider are $3.

2 liter soda bottles are cheaper. modify it. if you need instructions, ask.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Uhhhhh.....

You've been around long enough to know the right answer to this, so I'll just assume this is a joke.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I forget who it was but someone posted awhile back about their free range Versicolor. Im not sure how it all ended but it was pretty interesting. But im not saying I agree with it... but its not impossible

peace

TheDon

Last edited:

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There is this little old woman that lives here in town who visits all the pet stores on a semi-regular basis, and whenever she walked in the door of the two stores I've worked in, everyone cringed... Not trying to be mean, but no matter how you explained it to this woman, she would simply smile, say "Oh that's ok" and buy something that she has no knowlege of or ability to care for, take it home, and set it loose in her house!!She simply had more money than brains. She consistantly bought things that were COMPLETELY incompatible, and freequently had stories to tell about this pet that ate that other pet, as though it came as a total surprise to her! One of the stores I worked in (the first) sold her what ever she wanted on the bosses orders to do so. The other store, thankfully, the manager refused to sell certain things to her, but dispite my repeated warnings tarantulas were fair game in that managers eyes. Even though I told the manager of the 2nd store that the last store I'd worked in had sold her an A.seemani, and the following week she had come in to return it, having gone to the hospital after being bitten by it! The 2nd store, dispite this, allowed her to purchase of all things, a feather legged baboon spider!!

Allowing any kind of T to live in your home freely just exposes it to what ever prey items may have slipped in from outside for starters. Those prey items may have ingested pesticides, or carry parasites of one kind or another, perhaps even consumed bug killers you have under the kitchen sink that you've forgotten about, and all manner of other potential threats to the T itself will certainly crop up over time. Not to mention the possability of inadvertantly stepping on it, sitting on it, or laying on it after it finds a nice secluded spot to call home, such as under a chair, in your left shoe, between the arm and seat cushion of a love seat... There is a threat to the persons living in the house with you involved here that MUST be taken in to consideration. Even though it is not a medically significant species, a bite does hurt and no one has the right to expose their housemates to this possability without their knowlege and consent.

There are simply thousands of reasons NOT to let a T live free range in your home, and not a single valid reason I can think of TO do it. If you can't care for a T propperly, don't get a T. It's just that simple.

I still think this thread has to be some sort of a joke, but I figured I'd make a full reply just in case you actually mean to do this.

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it was martin huber that had the freerange versicolor.... it's in a thread here somewhere...

edit: it's on the third page of the "post your arborial setups" thread...

and i also think this a bad idea

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that it would be ok if you were living on your own. You would have to be willing to accept the increased likelihood of an accident - moreso to the spider than to you. But I don't see any reason that if you really wanted to do it that you couldn't.

Jon

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, and wether it SHOULD be done is obviously a matter of opinion. My opinion is simply that you can strap rollerskates on a dogs feet and take it for a walk if you care to, but you risk breaking the dogs legs obviously and what are you hoping to gain by this risk?

If done in the context of an experiment and there were something specific that you were hoping to learn under controlled conditions, that might put things in a different light. What I gather from this thread however is simply someone wanting to let a T roam freely in their room for the simple lack of a $3 K-keeper. Depending on the condition of the room it's more than likely that it will never be seen again unless it's discovered biting someone who wasn't aware of its presence, and very possible that such an occurrance would happen elsewhere in the house.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe Martin's "Free-Range" versicolor was an escapee that he lost when very small. He actully found it had made a home in a room plant and let it continue living there for some time rather than disturb it.

I do know someone who keeps a Heteroscodra maculata "free-range" which I admit would concern me somewhat.

Yesterday I had a "free-range" Haplopelma schmidti for 18 hours or so. I underestimated her strenght - this is a very strong spider who managed to dislodge her very heavy lid and get free. Somehow she got from one side of the room to the other (it's a "box room" full of junk" and after almost 4hours of searchin (it's VERY full of junk) I found her half way up one of the curtains. I thought putting her back in the tank would be the wisest move ;)

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope this is a joke also, Im a newbie to the T world and Im just gonna tell ya, I wouldnt want to wake up one morning and find my T sitting very close to my face. Not to mention, do you have other pets in the house (dogs, cats)??? You would be subjecting your T to other dangers especially if you have a cat, since they are hunters and would be more than willing to pounce on the pretty T that could be walking across the floor.

EWWWWW I shrug at the thought. IMO Not a good idea.

But that is my newbie thought on this topic.

Renee