2nd rose hair!

rjh5791

Arachnopeon
Well rescued a rosie today from a woman who was scared of her (it was her daughters). Here is the story...

I work at petsmart and this woman comes in to get crickets for her T and her Beardie. As we were talking she made a mention how she did not want the T anymore because she was too afraid to clean it's cage . So I made an arrangement to pick it up after I got out of work. The 10 gal tank with sand with several dead and live crickets in it as well as a large rock, fake plant, and a water dish... with sponges :wall: . Can't blame her to much though not her fault she got stuck with her daughters T. I got all of it for $25, guess working at chain pet stores has its perks {D.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What is with sand and crickets! WHY does everyone feel the need to do this? lol I don't get it. How many spiders do YOU know that leave on beaches?! haha

Good job rescueing the poor thing!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
What is with sand and crickets! WHY does everyone feel the need to do this? lol I don't get it. How many spiders do YOU know that live on beaches?!
Well there's this one spider with huge, bulging femurs who's always stealing the girls from the regular scrawny spiders before kicking sand in their faces.:}

Seriously though, I think it has more to do with how people think tarantulas are all automatically from the desert and are usually displayed as such at pet shops. And everyone knows, desert = sand!:rolleyes:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She is very pretty! Though, I don't know if it's a 'she' or not haha

Oh right, deserts have sand too! ;P

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww I'm glad she found a home with you, she'll be happy and well cared for now :D

drdoody

Arachnopeon
with sponges :wall:
Why are sponges bad and what would I replace mine with? Also, I use that yellow water gel stuff from Flukers for one of my spiders. Is this bad? The label indicated that it was for use with tarantulas.

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sponges breed bacteria. use straight water. Ts can't drink the gel. Use straight water

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why are sponges bad and what would I replace mine with? Also, I use that yellow water gel stuff from Flukers for one of my spiders. Is this bad? The label indicated that it was for use with tarantulas.
bigdog999 is right, and you do not need to replace the sponge with anything.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
don't replace the sponge, remove it entirely. a shallow water dish with clean water is much better for your T and easier to keep clean.

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Congrats on the new Grammostola rosea! You can never have too many of those, IMO - a great species.

:D

sponges breed bacteria. use straight water. Ts can't drink the gel. Use straight water
Yeah, that sums it up bigdog.

Ariel said:
(though in my area I have to dechlorinate it)
You can always use distilled water too, if you have any doubts as to the the purity of your tap water.

drdoody, just to add: don't trust those labels saying something is "for use with tarantulas." I have noticed those kinds of labels/advertising ploys just lump T's in with the reptile genre. If you have any doubts, just ask someone here on AB. We are happy to help you and your T. :)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And speaking as a former herp hobbyist--even if it says it is for reptiles/amphibians doesn't mean you should use it. Case in point: Calci-Sand for leopard geckos.