terrariums

spock

Arachnopeon
Is anyone using the zoo med or exo terra terrariums (12x12x12) and how do you like them and what species are you using them with? thanks in advance

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I use a 12x12x12 for my N. chromatus, and to be honest, you can do a lot better if you are strictly looking at terrestrials.

I filled mine as high as the soil would go and, for her size, it was JUST right (~1.5 legspans from the top). She does tend to move earth a bit, so I decided to add fake plants, decorations, and other things to either discourage her climbing or making a potential fall less dangerous. Now, the only place that -could- be dangerous in a fall would be crawing along part of the front and side, but she never climbs there anyway, and I've made sure there is nothing there but cushiony substrate! Here's my Girl in the exo terra.

There is another fellow on here who does a fantastic job with these enclosures and builds multi-leveled enclsures to give more floorspace, but that requires a bit of handywork. Hopefully he'll find this thread and chime in, with some tips.
Also, the floorspace is another problem. If they came with dimensions like 12x16x12 (and raise the bottom glass part a little higher) it would be great for larger terrestrials, but as it stands, there is no such size. So, the 12x12x12 might be a bit small for your larger species, and the next largest cage up is completely too huge and tall for anything.

Now, where these enclosures really shine is for arboreals and semi-arboreals, specifically the 12x12x18 enclosures. For those I'd say they are really good enclosures, as height is no longer a problem, and they do look great.

b.donahue

Arachnopeon
i use the zoo med 12x12x12 for my a.seemani works great.... the one we have has a place for a lock which is great considering we have young children

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those things are too dang expensive. and only work for arboreal species, or terrestrial species that don't really burrow.