Mature female? Drumming?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My recently molted P. chordatus DCF(whose molt measures 3") was in her hide tonight, as usual... I figured, it's been 6 days, let's see if she's hungry.

So I used tongs to hold a meal worm and put it infront of her burrow... it touched the substrate in its desperate attempts to get away from me...

and she started drumming? :?

Atleast, I think it was drumming? Really rapid taps with her front feet, and she slowly came out of her tunnel. When she got near the mealworm, she lunged at it, then backed up into her tunnel quickly.

Could she be mature already at just a little over 3 inches?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I might be wrong but I dont think she is mature.. I think 4 1/2 -5 inches is mature.. The drumming might be because you could probably mate her at that size.. But might get a sac that is either super small or a dud... I could be wrong though...

*Edit* The drumming might also be her checking what on her web.. Like to make sure its not something that is going to get her before she get it...

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If shes drumming shes horny! I would think aren't the males really small anyways. I would try to breed her if i had a male.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, there is no male DCF in sight - I have been looking lol.. or for even another female! So by the time I find one.. she'll probably be bigger!

I don't know how far Ts can see.. but the meal worm was maybe an inch and a half directly infront of her. I would agree with the "testing the web" theory, too.. if I thought she wouldn't have been able to see it?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well from what I understand T's cant see to well.. They go by feeling.. That why I think she was feeling the web..

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I may be wrong, but i do believe that the males do the drumming, not the females. I've never had a mature female drum.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I may be wrong, but i do believe that the males do the drumming, not the females. I've never had a mature female drum.
Thats not always true.. I have seen my mature female G. rosea drum.. I know its a different SP.. But she drummed..

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats not always true.. I have seen my mature female G. rosea drum.. I know its a different SP.. But she drummed..
Was it actually a mating drum? Just because they are tapping their palps doesn't mean they are drumming.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Was it actually a mating drum? Just because they are tapping their palps doesn't mean they are drumming.
No it was not a mating drum.. But she was drumming for what reason I dont know.. I dont have any male G. roseas.. Which is why I said she could have been checking what was on the web.. Just to make sure it was not a preditor trying for a meal..

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have watched several mating vids where the female has drummed... which is what sparked me to make this post lol

I've just never seen her "test her web" like that before, so I thought I'd ask :)

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have watched several mating vids where the female has drummed... which is what sparked me to make this post lol

I've just never seen her "test her web" like that before, so I thought I'd ask :)
Can you post some links?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had mature females drum to the vibration of my voice in the room when I was talking, and to the vibration of the vacuum cleaner. The coolest one I have seen is when a mature female of one species drums back to the tapping of a different species from a different genus!

I do believe other members have had the vacuum cleaner thing happen too.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you post some links?
Here is one for you,
I have others around somewhere I think.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mHvJGPcNlVw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mHvJGPcNlVw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had mature females drum to the vibration of my voice in the room when I was talking, and to the vibration of the vacuum cleaner. The coolest one I have seen is when a mature female of one species drums back to the tapping of a different species from a different genus!

I do believe other members have had the vacuum cleaner thing happen too.
Next time i vacuum, i will keep an eye on my females.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And another female wanting it so bad she harasses the male quite a bit with her tapping.
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/us6N7lLrBMw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/us6N7lLrBMw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My female P. formosa actually drummed tonight, for no reason. I wasn't talking or anything, just sitting at the computer.

It's nothing to worry about, it's another strange thing about tarantulas. :)

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard and watched my son's big female A.Avic drum fast little taps over & over before. I did have a mm Avic within a foot of her in another enclosure, but she had no way of knowing that. :?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And another female wanting it so bad she harasses the male quite a bit with her tapping.
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/us6N7lLrBMw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/us6N7lLrBMw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
So i was wrong....it happens...:)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well then! lol

I'll just leave her to her little drumming self, until I find a male LOL

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have caught a few of my mature females drumming at random. Its uncommon, but definitely happens.