surprise surprise! once again... i'm worried for my emp'

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so.... i've been keeping her in the right temp/humidity ((90 degrees warm side during day, 75/80 on cool side, and 70ish on warm side at night and 65ish on cool side, 70% humidity at all times)) but i got her a new hide from petco that at first she didn't even TRY it until i partially covered it with a live plant, covering a hole on top of the hide, not completely sealing it but just blocking light from entering it for during the day, so after leaning the plant on her new hide she went into the hide, and hasn't come out since than, and that was two days ago, and i've had her two and a half weeks now, before this new hide she's been out and about EVERY night, and even some mornings, is she enjoying this hide more than her old one or should i be worried? i suppose the edges of this hide was rough, but not exactly sharp, is it possible she was injured trying to crawl in?

the thing that gave me an idea to lean a plant over her hide was that the day before she pulled a plant out from its spot and it fell onto her hide, and she used that hole from the pulled out plant as her hide for one night

Edit: i suppose at the same time i had no choice but to use a new substrate, that is Coco' husk, which is more like chunks of wood, rather ten dirt like Coco fiber, i only used husk instead of fiber because nowhere NOWHERE within thirty minutes of my house had any Cocofiber

Last edited:

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think your ok, maybe thinking a little too much about it. you can always move the hide and look at her. I don't think petco would sell a hide that could injure your pet. if you thinks that the problem i have an "i cant believe its not butter" hide i use for emps, its not natural looking but they don't care, do some thing like that.

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if i remove her hide won't that stress her? i want to keep stress to a minimal.... she's full grown so i have no clue how old she is, and her time could be soon... or she could live another good year, i don't know but i don't want to shorten it at all by stressing her

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dude, it's an emp - quit worrying about it. If it refuses to eat for 6+mo, don't worry about it. If you don't see it for weeks at a time, don't worry about it. Are you starting to see the trend in my stance? You're gonna die of a brain hemorrage worrying about that thing before it dies, it'll only die because you'll be dead and it will no longer have someone to give headaches to and therefore have no more purpose - it's life will have run it's course, if you will. You have a pet rock, about the only time the thing will ever be interesting is when you try to grab it and it starts acting tough (much like a pomeranian barking at a pit bull).

:wall: :clap: :wall: :wall: :wall: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really was avoiding commenting on anything having to do with emp problems. Seems everyone has the same problem...they have emps! It should be considered a disease, yes, the imp emp disease.

Last edited:

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am down with with that rasputin. Man I hate emps so bad. They serve their purpose by giving people a way into the hobby without the dangerous side of things and they are big. Whoa...awesome. Black, big, and awesome. I crush my food everytime with my hands and shove it in my mouth too, but nobody thinks I am awesome. ;)

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
Haha

Yes, that is hilarious. I do have a Vietnamese Hissing scorpion, but he rarely uses his claws, unlike the emp. I feed my scorp things that it attacks and has to destroy with its tail. Emps are too weak and docile for any real scorp raiser to have.

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so just because the emperor has strong claws, and doesn't need to entirely depend on venom it, sucks? and not EVERY emperor is docile, mine raises her claws and arches her tail whenever she's out and about and i drop in a cricket or spray

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Emps are too weak and docile for any real scorp raiser to have.
That's like saying if you have a Rose Hair you aren't a real tarantula keeper . It's hard not to appreciate an Emperor's size and appearance. I have a few and I consider myself to be a real scorpion keeper . It doesn't have to be lethal to be worthy of study .

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My emp is more aggressive than one of my desert hairys. I think that emps get all this attention because it is one of the more widely available scorps at LPSs. People just want to know how to care for scorpions, it wouldn't be any different if someone said their first scorp was a desert hairy and it burrowed and they are worrying about it. New keepers just need to learn that they will most likely not see their scorp for a few days to weeks at a time. It is something that should not be criticized, but rather the questions should be asked. If they didn't ask questions and ended up with a dead scorp, people would flame them way more.

So I don't think it's emps, it is just people wondering about care for their first scorp, it doesn't matter color, size, how it kills prey, or species. People just want to be responsible scorp keepers, and that is what the hobby is about.

An emp was my first scorp, and I asked questions and they got answered thoroughly and politely, and that made me more interested in the hobby. Now I have branched out from emps, but I still like them. I just don't think flaming a first time scorp keeper about questions for care is a good way to promote the hobby.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok, this is where I clean it up. Yes, I'm not a big fan of emps. Yes, your emp raises it's claws. Look, what I'm saying is quit worrying about it - it's a pet rock and if you are worried because it's fitting the bill, just bear that in mind. I'm not saying that one shouldn't keep emps and I'm not trying to alienate the noob into leaving the hobby before he really gets into the hobby. My first scorp was a C. vittatus - which, I'll add, I consider to be a much hardier and more interesting scorp but that is just my opinion. Selket, I don't think venom is of any sort of importance, the most boring species I ever owned was L. quinquestriatus - no joke!

Now Glow, if I'm wrong and your emp dies by friday of next week, come up here and I will give you one for free (I'm an hour north of Denver).

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's like saying if you have a Rose Hair you aren't a real tarantula keeper . It's hard not to appreciate an Emperor's size and appearance. I have a few and I consider myself to be a real scorpion keeper . It doesn't have to be lethal to be worthy of study .
:clap: :clap:

emperors although docile and beginnerish, never become cliche.

Emps are too weak and docile for any real scorp raiser to have.
:embarrassed:

Last edited: