JFB's picture thread

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally took some pictures of my burgeoning collection. My camera is a real POS, so bear with me.

Freshly shed boehmei

Freshly shed Brachypelma sabulosum, 4". May be vagans, not totally sure.

Poecilotheria subfusca 'Highland', recently molted into 3/4 instar. ~1.75"

I originally thought it was a male, but now I'm not so sure. I'll probably have to wait another molt or two to get a better idea.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pamphobeteus

P. sp 'Platyomma', ~2" in pre-molt

P. nigricolor, ~3.5". This T is crazy. Doesn't threat, just attacks. Also the only T I have that's really into kicking hairs.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia

A. purpurea sling

A. sp Metallica Green

Versi.

A. sp Amazonica. Freshly molted, ~2". My personal favorite of the genus, but I still need to get a diversipes one of these days.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I did today...

I got to set up a regalis communal, obt communal, and unpack another two ornata slings. 12 fast slings, and not a single problem escape attempt:D .

ornata slings

OBT communal, 5 2i slings. Part of Garrick's 8 generations inbred group.

regalis communal, 5 2i slings. Also got these from Garrick.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool collection ya got! Not just the every day Ts in there.. love it!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^^ that pic is awesome! Saved.
Thanks, I love that pic too. My new long-term (very long-term) goal is to have communal set-ups of as many Poecilotheria species as possible. Watching them interact is just too cool.

Very cool collection ya got! Not just the every day Ts in there.. love it!
Thanks! I'm really happy with the group of T's I have.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rehousing irminia

Both of my Psalmopoeus irminia molted a couple weeks ago and were in desperate need of a re-housing.

A few pics of the irminia

Vent pic of both of the P. irminia. I 'think' the one on the left is a male and the right is a female. Definitely not sure about that though, might be two males...

The tarantulas were so calm I decided to handle one of them, and it couldn't have gone better. The little one was very calm, relaxed and deliberate in its movements.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pamphobeteus sp 'Platyomma' molted

Some pics of the fresh Platyomma, I love this genus.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome pictures. That B. boehmei is gorgeous! Also, I love that picture of the little regalis party. Pretty darn cute. I miss when our platyomma had his Christmas tree, he molted recently and it was gone! Just like that...now he's starting to look like a Pampho, and I'm not the least bit upset that he's male because he's gonna be a looker! I am also really starting to love the Pampho genus, we're getting an antinous next weekend...can't wait!

Cass

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome, I'd love to get an antinous. It's probably the Pampho species I'll get next, I just can't bring myself to spend $150+ on an ultramurinus yet, not when there are so many T's I still need to get.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Apparently crappy cameras are the trend around here lately, LOL. Nice shots!!! You got a really great collection going!!!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AWESOME shots! I love that P. sp platyomma!! I shouldnt have passed the one I was going to get... Might have to look into getting 1.. (OR 5) :D Great collection you got..

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Apparently crappy cameras are the trend around here lately, LOL. Nice shots!!! You got a really great collection going!!!
Thanks, and yeah, I'm dreaming of the day I get a nice digital SLR.

AWESOME shots! I love that P. sp platyomma!! I shouldnt have passed the one I was going to get... Might have to look into getting 1.. (OR 5) :D Great collection you got..
Thanks! I'd highly recommend getting a Pampho. They're big, they're gorgeous, they have a bit of an attitude, and the mature males are just jaw-dropping.

I forgot, they're also my favorite T to feed. They hit their prey HARD!

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Time for an UPDATE!

a few of my new slings -

Cyriocosmus ritae (recommended!) Got some C. elegans too, but they were all burrowed away when it came to picture time.

Pamphobeteus sp Platyomma (just sexed him as a boy, but he's gonna be BEAUTIFUL!)

Grammostola pulchra (got 4 of these little guys because my gf thought they were cute, I couldn't be happier. They are champs when it comes to feeding)

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (such a fantastic species)

Avicularia versicolor (can never have too many!)

Having a stroll on my girlfriend's arm

---------- Post added 01-02-2012 at 03:13 AM ----------

I bought a subadult pair of P. nigricolor. The female's at least 5.5" and the male's about 5". I'm going to do my best to get more of these in the hobby. It's a tragedy that they're not more common!

Male - I can't wait for this guy to mature. Stunning!

Female - I can't wait see her right after a molt.

---------- Post added 01-02-2012 at 03:17 AM ----------

A proven breeder female Avicularia versicolor I got for a pretty amazing price.

---------- Post added 01-02-2012 at 03:22 AM ----------

Young mature female Poecilotheria miranda I recently purchased

Last but not least, my pride and joy a 6" Poecilotheria subfusca Highland female I got along with the P. miranda.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice, a versi is a T I'm trying to get my gf comfortable with (she's scared of all spiders). Nice subfusca!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My gf went from scared, to intrigued, to into them in no time at all. She's handled many of my docile species to this point. If you've got a docile and predictable A. versicolor, I think they're great for turning on your significant other to the hobby. They're beautiful, handleable, and everyone loves the cute Avic walk!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
man, you got some nice ts... that highland is TO DIE FOR, and the A. sp Metallica Green is amazing (and new to my knowledge) as well. good luck with the 2 nigricolor... the hobby needs more of them. pretty cool that your GF is into ts too... my GF and our 7yr old daughter is really startin to take a shine to my ts as well... they're even coming with me to the Portland expo on the 21st this month.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool. I'm going to that expo too. You should have the gf pick out a T, that worked for me!

I'm going to do my best with the P. nigricolor. They used to be more common, but I guess they haven't been bred much. I only know one seller that has them, and I think they're being imported from Europe. It'd be great to have more of them in the US. I can't recommend Pamphobeteus enough. They are my favorite terrestrials.

The A. metallica sp. green were around for a little while a couple years ago, I bought a few off a seller on this board that had a sac (Warpig I think), but ended up trading them to someone else a few months later. I wonder what became of them? They had the A. metallica white tipped bristles but had more of a green sheen to them. They also got HUGE, which was my main motivation for buying them. I wonder what happened to them? Does anybody know? If anyone has any, I want one!

Here's a couple threads about them, the first shows a bunch of pictures of A. metallica sp green. They are sweet! The second is a thread on another forum that describes the different Avicularia species.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?159404-Another-Sac!!
http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=8120 (gotta register if you wanna read it, worth it though)

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very cool. I'm going to that expo too. You should have the gf pick out a T, that worked for me!
yeah, good strategy lol... im def. gonna let them pick one out. thanks for the idea... i feel kinda like a jerk that i didnt even think of that. selfish bastard:eek: