Dodoma Baboon spider?

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got a question for all of you with Dodoma baboon spiders.

What do you all think about yours? I mean, I have limited space available and can only get about three more tarantulas so I want to make sure that I am really going to be able to enjoy the ones I get.

I found one at a pet store for 16.99 and I bought it. I am at work right now so I actually still have time to back out of the deal.

What do you guys think? Should I get it or not. It's about 3 inches right now.

-Charlie

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
get it? unless u want the usumbara which in my opinion is the same spider just with a much more spectacular color. i have a baby usumbara and it is awesome and im sure the dodoma is just as cool so id go for it even though it may not be as orange:D
mike

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I LOVE MY DODOMA!!!!
i think it is a great spider!
(in my opinion)
but i would get it cause that is cheeper than mine!
mine was 20!:rolleyes: :D

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
I like mine. I have 2 orange phase and the dodoma. THe Dodo is the first to give me a threat posture which was cool. Other wise she is a mild mannered girl

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got it!

I went back and picked it up.

I thought you could not handle these things?

I was a little concered because the pet shop lady opened the cage and said your gonna have to get it becuase I cant stand spiders. :mad: Whatever.

So I said how? She told me just to reach in a grab it. I then asked her if she was high on crack. I mean I always heard that they where bitey.

So she says hold on, SUZAN! Can you please come get this spider for this guy? He's afraid of it. (I could have killed that little gum chewing teenie bopper for that comment!)

Then Suzen comes over and grabs the spider! She did not coax it onto her hand she just basically reached in and grabbed it. I have named what she did the "I just dont give a rats patoot if I get bit or not method".

She did not get bit! Hell if I picked up my rosie that way she would probably bite me. I thought these guys where bitey?

What gives?

Anyway I like the little buger so far. He/she (not really sure at this point) is very pretty and seems to have a decent temperment for not sending that pet shop lady to bitesville.

It was even giving a threat posture when she grabbed him man!

Sheesh!

Thanks for the advice all. I am now the proud owner of my first old world T.

-Charlie

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
SHe is stoooopid oh they can break the sound barrier...:D

Last edited:

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OH MY GOSH!!

I love this thing! I have seen something so fast in my entire life!!!!!

Why didn't you guys mention that these things could break the friggin sound barrier!?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks again all! I am totally loveing this spider so far!

-Charlie

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mr feexit

that was not in your orginal post.

you feexed it.

:)

-Charlie

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Though I generally don't wish harm to others, it's a true shame that this T didn't give that gal a good nip! Eventually they are going to sell a medically significant species like this to some kid, tell him to "just grab it", and then the story's going to be on their local news when the kid winds up going to the hospital and the parents sue the tar out of that shop for selling "dangerously poisonous animals to kids" as I'm sure they'll call it... I'm curious to know what this womans level of experience is with tarantulas. Somehow I get the impression she's used to A.avic and G.rosea, and is under the miss-impression that all Ts are handlable based on the general rep of those two common pet store species. This woman needs to be "informed" be fore she accidently get "educated", if you know what I mean...

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont really want to hurt anyone either but you know what?

I am kinda hoping SHE gets accidentaly educated!!

By the way, I will call back. But the level of attention they give me when I tell them not to put the T's on cedar chips and to take the damn cotten balls out of the cages tells me that they wont listen anyway.

-Charlie

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow

You guys arent going to believe this!

I called the pet shop back and the lady who grabbed the spider the way she did was the owner!

I talked to her a little while about the difference between old world and new world tarantulas and she told me that she had no idea that they where different when she got them and was not going to be carrying them again.

She told me that she would rather just stick to the basic rosies and zebra knees than to have to deal with that kind of a spider.

She was totally receptive and really cool. I have to say I really liked her and I hope that she sticks to her word.

-Charlie

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's a shame she'd rather not deal in OW Ts than learn a little about them and include them in her stock. Good to hear that she listened to you though. How did she react when you told her that the T she scooped up could have put some considerable hurt on her?

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Telson:

She didn't sound too surprised. She said she kinda wondered about them cause they where so fast.

She did thank me and tell me that she would be happy to special order any T I wanted though.

Not for free but hey, At least I have some form of a connection.

If the money didn't suck so bad I would ask her for a job. I'll rephrase that, If I could live on the money they pay I would ask her for a job.

-Charlie

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
OOOppps mine got out tonite!..Totally my fault, ifeel bad because after I caught her she sat at the bottom of her tank and pouted....actually scrunched up into her "you can't see me" position.

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bad daddy, you just tired out your little baby! Will you stop looking at me!! (Your Dodo)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What's the scientific name of it? Lugardi?

If so, it looks nice and behaves with less of an attitude to my 'usambara'. I rarely see it though, and it's scrawny.

I'd honestly say a "Usambara" would be a.... 'better' choice, though the 'dodoma' is a nice one to have regardless. Yeah they're fast moving and scuttly!

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
What's the scientific name of it? Lugardi?

If so, it looks nice and behaves with less of an attitude to my 'usambara'. I rarely see it though, and it's scrawny.

I'd honestly say a "Usambara" would be a.... 'better' choice, though the 'dodoma' is a nice one to have regardless. Yeah they're fast moving and scuttly!
I have been told more than once that the Dodoma is a color varient of the Usambara, In effect the same spider different clothing.