Brazilian white knee Vs Chaco Golden Knee!!

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was thinking about getting one of these 2, and most websites say they get the same size.. but witch one actually gets bigger. Also if u have one of either pls let me know how they are?

Whats the biggest recorded size of each, and wich would u chose :rolleyes:

I found females of both, just deciding which to take.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If by brazilian white knee you mean Acanthoscurria geniculata then A. genic's grow bigger ... I have both species in my collection.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also have both. My G. pulchripes (chaco) is a gentle, docile boy and my A. geniculata (white knee) is far more skittish. I believe the geniculata will get bigger, but I also have to add that they grow MUCH faster than the pulchripes, too. A pulchripes' growth rate is like a snail jogging through molasses.

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
awsome, I think im leaning more towards the white knee :) still undecided at the moment :( Is 175$ canadian good for a 4" female? I asked for a photo of it to verify that is female and he sent me one. Is it female 100%?

Also i have read on one site that they can get to 9-10 inches??? I dont think that true is it?

Last edited:

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
awsome, I think im leaning more towards the white knee :) still undecided at the moment :( Is 175$ canadian good for a 4" female? I asked for a photo of it to verify that is female and he sent me one. Is it female 100%?

Also i have read on one site that they can get to 9-10 inches??? I dont think that true is it?
I can't comment on the price since I only know American prices. As far as size goes the biggest one I've ever seen was about 9in, but 8in is far more common.

I'm not sure if that is a female or not, it has a rather unusual "fringe" on the furrow that my 6in female doesn't have so it's hard to tell.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only 100% way to sex a T is through a molt. It's possible to get a more than educated guess from the pic that you posted (But not from me as I'm not very good at that) however it won't be a guarantee.

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
9" u have actually seen!!? wow that's pretty awesome. thannks for the help everyone.
I know that it wont be a guarantee from the pic, but does it look like it to anyone? its just that i cant tell at all with this one.

:worship:

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like a girl to me.

Tough to say what good prices are in canadian because not only is the money different, but the market is different. Not sure how the canadian supply/deman situation is. However, google says at the moment 175 canadian is $166 US, which (again, in the US market) doesn't seem like a real good price to me (though it's not completely out of the ballpark). I paid less than that for mine and that was before the recession depressed spider prices.

Check the for sale section for recent prices for this species.

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Everyone!!

Oh thanks so much, I'm just glad to hear that its female :)
Ya i figured it was a bit pricey .. I e-mailed him a request for a lower price and im going to take it if he lowers the price a smidgen. {D

Anyone elese see female as well, (could never get enough opinions!) lol

Thanks again everyone

V!Nc3

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I have a 2 inch G.pulchripes, and love her (? I can hope lol) to bits! She is very docile, never flicks hairs, eats like a champ and is very entertaining to watch.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bigger schmigger... The temperament and metabolism of these two species is (very) different enough that size really shouldn't be the only consideration when comparing the two. If you want something that grows fast, eats like a garbage disposal and is fairly feisty then A. geniculata ("white knee") is your huckleberry. If you'd rather have a docile, handleable, slower growing and (IMO) much more beutiful T that also gets large, although not as big as a genic and much more slowly, get a G. pulchripes ("chaco").

Although on the surface they both seem to be just NW jungle giants they're really quite dissimilar in a lot of ways.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What Moltar said.
Also, I don't really agree that genics are bigger, I'd put my money on the Chaco in that department.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What Moltar said.
Also, I don't really agree that genics are bigger, I'd put my money on the Chaco in that department.
Yeah really, I wonder if anybody actually knows... Anybody have a 20 year old female G. pulchripes we can measure?

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah really, I wonder if anybody actually knows... Anybody have a 20 year old female G. pulchripes we can measure?
Very good point. T's tend to grow their whole lives and for G pulchripes that can be a looooong time. Geniculata, on the other hand, grows very fast so you see the size right away. I have adults of both and the geniculata seems bigger to me (it's also younger), but the difference in growth speed makes it impossible to tell for sure.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Hopefully mine is a girl and in 20 yrs I let ya know ;)