Nasty Nhandu

KidMunti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Brazilian Black and White is nastier than my canceride and cristata. I thought they are calm, docile and amateur friendly. She's barely 4" and when she reaches her adult size she's gonna be.......Mega Nasty!!!!:D

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nasty One

" I thought they are calm, docile and amateur friendly. "

Nothing can be further fromt he truth, although they make hardy captives, they are on of the most aggressive T's I've had. Without hesitation they rear up whenever I open the container, definately not calm an docile. Not as all out aggressive as a H. lividum or Chilobrachy sp. but not docile. (I've seen picture of people with H. lividum on their hands, that is an exception, not the norm).

Very attractive animals, yes.

N-Joy
Art

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by KidMunti
My Brazilian Black and White is nastier than my canceride and cristata. I thought they are calm, docile and amateur friendly. She's barely 4" and when she reaches her adult size she's gonna be.......Mega Nasty!!!!:D
Where did you get the impression that they were friendly?

Jon

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
Hmmm, my Nhandu coloratovillosus isn't all that aggressive/defensive at all. She is near 6", over 1.5 years old, and will either take refuge in her home or cover her eyes when I need to clean around her, and always has. She has only postured once for me and it was kinda half @$$ed about it.
She is a major hair kicker though, and her hair is more threatning to me than her attitude.

Kelly (L_mac)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My 7" N. vulpinus is aggressive as any T I own.
It eats rat pups like their candy.

Super great T for any collection..:p

Ernie

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our N. coloratovillosus ends up on her back in her attempts to eat us alive. :D
Beautiful bugs. Easy to care for.
Friendly?
Not the least bit. Least ours isn't. :D

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only have a sling at the moment(~1.75") and it will hide or stick its butt far enough out of its burrow to kick hairs at me. I never had any expectation that it would be a calm or docile bug when it gets bigger. I do hope it spends more time out in the open than it does now though. I love the white chelicera.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two different species of the Nhandu and mine aren't the friendliest in the world. My N.vulpinus is like Mr. T's and would eat you as look at you. Here is a pic of her after she just molted last week.

Attachments

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Nhandu carapoensis is very calm and docile.
When disturbed, she hide in her home ... never seen her hair- kicking while according to all description she suppose to be a great hair kicker.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering myself where you had gotten the impression that they were friendly. lol While not outright evil I have never had mine act very cuddly to say the least.

Phil

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My nasty N. carapoensis.
Poor pic., but the best I currently have.:8o

Ern

Attachments

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Nasty Nhandu

Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Where did you get the impression that they were friendly?

Jon
Maybe he got her confused with A. genic.? :?

Greensleeves

KidMunti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine isnt a hair kicker but she does ends up on her back for trying to rear up too much. Also I seldom see her inside the retreat that i provided for her.....she wont run and hide.

Ernie, I admire the pics you provided (vulpinus and collor)...gorgeous T's and perfect shots.
What's the type/brand of camera do you use?

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our N. carapoensis isn't aggresive or a hair kicker. What she is, is the most aggresive eater we have. She nails any thing that makes any movement in her tank. I have been hand feeding her superworms with tongs of course. I'm not getting my fingers anywhere near her. I'll let you know what I think about N. coloratovillosus this should be my next T.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I have found these rather skittish, though I've never had one try to bite. Mine have all been handleable so far, but I wouldn't just go grabbing one without testing its individual temperament!

Joy

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pics everyone! My N. vulpinus is a fantastic eater it seems a little more psycho than my coloratovillosus in temperament though.

Andy