Fake Molt????

spider_drummer

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

So my girlfriend emails me today that our L.P. had spun herself a nice little bed, turned on her back and looked like she was ready to start molting. So a few hours later I email her back and ask how the T is doing, she says that it is walking around, there is no sign of any skin and her fangs are still black!

Has this happened to anyone before? If so what is the cause of this? I have never seen a T do that before, everytime I see them on their back the end up molting. But this one apperently stopped and just continued about its day like nothing happend?????

We are very confused and wondering what we should do, I am thinking just covering up the tank, maybe a good misting, then let her be for a few days? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
yes, but it might have been disturbed and flip back on its feet. makes sure you leave it alone and it will get the job done. Also make sure there is water available and that the humidity is good.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Interesting !

I'd like 2 hear what happens, please.

- Jason

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm with Travis K on this one. My guess is that it was disturbed and aborted the molt attempt before it had basically even started.

spider_drummer

Arachnopeon
well I just wrote my girlfriend back and asked her if she could please just cover the cage with a towel after she gives it a nice misting. Other then that lets just keep our fingers crossed.

Man when I was an arachnophobic kid I NEVER thought I would be this concerned about a spider! But damn it they have a way of growing on you.

Thanks for the advice, I will let let everyone know how she is doing.

Marvin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't tell anything for sure, but the same happend to my male C.Marshalli the other day.

I found out that it was making a spermweb, because its looking for a female.

Maybe your T is a male.. I don't know just wanted to tell :rolleyes:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Every once in a while I have an indecisive tarantula that flips a time or two before actually settling in to the molt. I agree that there may be disturbances or distractions. Even subtle ones that we may not notice or think of - noises, lights, whatever. Covering the cage with a towel and leaving it alone is the best decision.