Definition of "Sling"

JeffK

Arachnopeon
This is such a Noob question, but what is a sling? I have searched for the definition in search engines and read through posts that looked like there might be a definition, but I cant find it anywhere. I thought it was like an eggsack? maybe freshly hatched ? Well anyway just a real quick answer would be appreciated. It has to be a "everybody but me knows but me" question because every sales site mentions it like everybody obviously knows the answer
Thanks for the help.
JeffK

Marvin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry I'm just gonna use this noob-thread to throw in another noob question in the same category.

I know what sling means, so what does juvenile mean? :?

:wall:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
In my interpretation, the sling stage (actually, spiderling is the full name and I think it sounds better) begins when the spider emerges from the eggsack. This usually means you have 2nd instars, 3rd instars in a few species.
Juveniles are basically young spiders that aren't mature yet and are smaller than the mature (adult) spiders. I guess you could call a spider juvenile at 2nd(/3rd) instar if you wanted to, but most people usually start to use the term juvenile after a spiderling molted a few times.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Personally, anything under 2" is a sling and anything from 2" until it matures or is an adult size is a juvie.

Except dwarf species, of course

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Personally, anything under 2" is a sling and anything from 2" until it matures or is an adult size is a juvie.

Except dwarf species, of course
That's not really true for all species ...a bit of a sweeping statement?
My irminia was about 2" and that was defo not a sling.....or a dwarf species.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We refer to our T's as juvies when they start showing their adult colors.

Cassandra

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Generally, the terms sub-adult and juvie are synonomous. For an average sized T that will attain a diagonal leg span (or DLS) of about 5-7", I'd agree with Jairi and say that under 2" is a sling, 2-4" is a juvie / sub-adult, and anything over 4" is an adult.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Generally, the terms sub-adult and juvie are synonomous. For an average sized T that will attain a diagonal leg span (or DLS) of about 5-7", I'd agree with Jairi and say that under 2" is a sling, 2-4" is a juvie / sub-adult, and anything over 4" is an adult.
This is just an opinion .....there are no hard and fast rules.
I will post this question on the BTS as we speak.....see what they can come up with.....it may help.
Edit......done.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Paul - that is why I started my statement with "Personally" because I am not giving an exact definition of the terms that everyone should follow, I was simply stating how I PERSONALLY classify the majority of my Ts ;)

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Etymology: Late Latin, from Greek bōlos lump. Date: 1562. 1 : a rounded mass: as a : a large pill b : a soft mass of chewed food ...
I learned something, I thought it was a poo ball. oops:8o

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Paul - that is why I started my statement with "Personally" because I am not giving an exact definition of the terms that everyone should follow, I was simply stating how I PERSONALLY classify the majority of my Ts ;)
Appreciate the bold type but it is not necessary and in fact....as far as internet etiquette goes,it is quite rude.
Appreciate the wink all the same ;)
Paul

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Appreciate the bold type but it is not necessary and in fact....as far as internet etiquette goes,it is quite rude.
Paul
She bolds everything if you haven't noticed. Spit is giving internet etiquette lessons now...if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.