The mother of all bad molts

current218

Arachnopeon
So on christmas eve my GBB sling decided to molt. I didn't check in on it til christmas day, and I noticed it was still transparent and sitting in what i thought was the "I'm shy"-position. I looked at it again on the 26th and noticed it was sitting exactly the same, so i decided to open the lid to the deli cup and take a look. Turns out his/her fangs actually got stuck in the old molt, thus leaving it to bleed to death. The carapace is just a flap and there are no fangs attached to it.

Anyone ever had a molt like this? I've never read about anything like that.

Spilotes

Arachnopeon
Sorry for your loss.

I have heard of legs, fangs, etc. becoming stuck in molts. I had something similar on the 18th with my Singapore blue sling where after an apparently good molt, it just died. Could be an environmental issue (too much humidity, too little, wet substrate....) I don't really know though. Sometimes I think the animal is just meant to go at that time. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and do the best we can to care for it but I believe when it's time, it's time. Hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge can chime in.

Alex

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss.

I have heard of legs, fangs, etc. becoming stuck in molts. I had something similar on the 18th with my Singapore blue sling where after an apparently good molt, it just died. Could be an environmental issue (too much humidity, too little, wet substrate....) I don't really know though. Sometimes I think the animal is just meant to go at that time. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and do the best we can to care for it but I believe when it's time, it's time. Hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge can chime in.

Alex
The exact same thing happened to us back in August. Our L. violaceopes molted and looked great, then a few days later, it was dead.

To the OP, sorry about your loss, things like that happen from time to time and it's crappy. Spilotes has a good point, often times, especially with something as in demand as GBB, sellers want to get as many slings as possible to sell off, and that means selling off the weak ones that would have been eaten had they been able to cannibalize. I believe that's a big part of the whole SADS thing as well.

Cass