Big Mold Problem - Please help

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

I have a very bad reoccuring mold problem that only ever happens in one cage - my A.geniculata's 10 gal aquarium. What sets this cage apart from the rest is that it is the biggest, and recieves the most sunglight (the little that seeps through the blinds opposite to it). The cage has as much or more ventilation as other cages, and I do not mist it or make any provisions to keep humidity up except for a water dish. I have washed the cage out with bleach, soap and water and it still comes back every time. I also use brand new fresh soil every time too but no matter what it comes back in a few weeks time or so. Also note the mold is on the glass, and not all through the soil. It also develops under the water dish probably because it is damp. That fact seems irrelivant though as where it develops on the sides of the cage is is BONE dry. Another thing is the only end of the tank that the really bad dark yellow mold grows on is the end facing the window. I tried blacking out the side of the cage with layers of paper towel taped to the cage but the next day the mold still grew a bit worse. The other end of the tank that is next to another cage that sees very little light has hardly any mold.

The mold seems to be completely benign and has been left in the cage for long periods of time on previous brakeouts when I did not notice it as quickly. The spider is totally normal from what I can tell.

The following are pictures of the mold. The light yellow mold that looks like fish eggs is the same kind that comes back every time. The dark yellow mold is new. In the breakout previous to this one, there was light yellow mold in the place of the dark yellow mold, but still in the same large shapes, which were able to spring up over night, looking more like mushrooms being tapered towards the bottom. The time previous to that, it was only the fish-egg looking mold, so I am assuming it has gotten progressively worse.

Please let me know what you think or how I can maybe stop it??? Perhaps that aquarium is just cursed.

Thanks a million,

Mark

Last edited:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Close up of the fish-egg like mold:

Last edited:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is the bad end (one facing window)

Last edited:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Close up of really bad mold:

Last edited:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another close up of the rest of the bad mold:

Last edited:

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its not mold. Its fungus. What you are seeing is mycelium. The Bad side you showed are immature mushrooms. The spores are most likely present in the soil when you add it. The water from the waterdish overflowing or getting spilled is most likely supplying the moisture. Try using straight peat or baking your soil before using it.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One thing I havent tried is the baking the soil. It is 80% peat 20% regular soil in that particular mix. How long and how hot should I bake the soil for?

Also, 1) if i totally bake the soil, and the water dish does overflow, is is possible for mold to come back again?

2) Can I bake the soil and then store it? Or will storing it let it go back to it's original.

3) Should I get the spider out asap? or is it not harmful?

thanks,

Mark

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would try baking the soil. That should take care of the problem.

Andy

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wet the soil, place it in a pan and cover with Aluminum foil and bake at 300 - 400 degrees F for about an hour should be sufficient. It will stink. If the fungus comes back then the spores are coming from an external source like outside, a potted plant that sprouts a mushroom from time to time and spreads the spores. The soil component in your substrate mix is supplying the nutrients the fungus needs to grow. You can store excess but keep it sealed. Your never going to get away from mold but from the looks of it your substrate drys out on top and the lower portion stays moist enough for the fungus spores to germinate and the mycelium to grow and spread across the bottom. Once the mycelium grows to the sides and gets exposed to light it starts to pin and fruit.

I wouldn't be too concerned with it harming the spider until the mushrooms break the surface and drop spores in mass quanity. Its best to change the substrate out as soon as is convenient to be safe and if the mushroom do mature and spread the spores you will likely see the same situation pop up in your other tanks eventually.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok thanks alot.

Perhaps I will use less substrate also as to discourage the soil from staying wet deep down.

I will change it and bake all the new soil this weekend probably.

Mark

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bake it in your outside BBQ grill.
It wont stink up your house that way..

Ern

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice shrooms This is part of why I prefer straight peat as it doesn't have any spores in it.

Phil

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have found that my microwave is a faster method of killing anything in the soil. It works for phorid flies too. Of course it's not very expensive to just buy new substrate and dump the old stuff in your garden (or next door's).You might like to try loosening up the mix with some vermiculite to let the air circulate better.