behavior question

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

I have a strange question. Can you sex a t by behavior? I'm new to the hobby and only have 5 t's right now. :D, but my list is getting longer by the day. Anyway, I have an OBT(freebie), B. smithi, B. angustum, A. new river, and G. pulchra all are 2-3" except the angustum is a female. What I'm wondering is they all stay in their hides all the time except for the new river who is walking every time I look at him. I've read that the males are wanderers. I didn't know if anyone has researched this or if it is even relavant.

Steph

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It does sound like an interestngly novel concept, but wanderlust is hardly an indicator of a male.

If that were the case, then my psycho P. cambridgei (named Desirae), and my G. rosea (named Charlotte) would be have to have a name-change. Both of those two are always out and about.....Charlotte just hanging out, and Desirae plotting my death. Conversely, Dusty (my male P. irminia) has no wanderlust at all, and is just as calm as my Avics. The sex of all three of these T's was confirmed by molt.

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would like to know how you she is plotting your untimely demise, in case I need to watch mine

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Males only tend to wander after they've matured, and the wandering is them wanting to get out and get it on.

Cass

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that I read somewhere (I forget if it was in here on in TKG) that if you have a T in an enclosure that is far too big it could spend an unusually large amount of time roaming around getting used to it.

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can. But only if it's a MM. And there is no easy way to identify a female by behavior (unless she lays eggs, but that usually requires mating). And of course by the time it's a MM you will have variables that are much more clear than behavior (hooks and boxing gloves).

So I suppose no, to my knowledge anyway, behavior is not an accurate way of determining sex. But posting pics of your T's nether regions on AB can be very helpful :razz:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
right mandipants. behavior is not a sexing tool. MM will wander a lot. that's about it though. and PrimalTaunt, i've read/experienced a T will wander around and act generally uncomfortable if the substrate is wrong, or if there is no hide, or if conditions are generally bad. i doubt a T would wander around just b/c the tank is big. in that case, they would be wandering forever in the wild. if the tank is big, they will find themselves a nice hide or corner to stay in.

bottom line OP, no. only with MMs, but then again, there's FAR better ways to sex your T ;)

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering on the wandering. Being a newbie I am fascinated by them and what they are doing all the time. I'm probably stressing them out by putting my big fat face up to the glass all the time ;)
My new river has settled down and is making a burrow and I think she is getting ready to shed, he abdomen is so huge she can barely put her legs down.
I was trying to get pics last night but my camera isn't good enough to get much detail. I'l have to wait until they molt.

Steph

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It does sound like an interestngly novel concept, but wanderlust is hardly an indicator of a male.

If that were the case, then my psycho P. cambridgei (named Desirae), and my G. rosea (named Charlotte) would be have to have a name-change. Both of those two are always out and about.....Charlotte just hanging out, and Desirae plotting my death. Conversely, Dusty (my male P. irminia) has no wanderlust at all, and is just as calm as my Avics. The sex of all three of these T's was confirmed by molt.

This is why originally I gave my T's gender ambigious names, like Adriane, or Davd Bowie.

Since then, I've realized that T's don't actually have gender, as they don't have society. Therefore, I name them whatever I want--it's not like T's recognize their names anyway--so I named my B.vagans slings Lazarus and Agador.