Dwarf tarantulas

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've seen quite a few topics on dwarf T's, but nothing resembling a very comprehensive list here. And I'm not talking about Mecicobothriidae, because they aren't in the family Theropsidae and thus--not true T's.
I'll keep the list updated by posting a complete list of dwarfs every so often.
Mods, if you could make this a sticky it might be good.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I believe you are correct, that Cyriocosmus as a whole are dwarves.

Those are all the dwarves that I know of... though if you're comparing one T to another, there are some Avic species that people consider dwarves.

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus

The genus is presented by 14 or so described species of one of the smallest tarantulas, but the biggest representatives reaching 5 cm in body length, i.e.Cyriocosmus sp. Bolivia.:)

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
There are several threads here dealing with this subject:
Aphonopelma joshua
aphonopelma mojave
aphonopelma paloma (which may not be a valid species)
aphonopelma paysoni (not a valid species?)
aphonopelma hualapai

Metriopelma (entire genus?)
No such thing as "Aphonopelma paysoni" and "Aphonopelma hualapai", it's Aphonopelma sp. "paysoni" and Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai" at best → they are undescribed/unidentified spiders.

Genera worth taking a look at too, off the top of my head:
Harpactirella,
Ischnocolus,
Magulla,
Brachionopus (the placement of this genus in Theraphosidae isn't set in stone),

+Iridopelma seladonium.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The Aphonopelma sp. "Paysoni" or "Payson Blonde" isn't a dwarf though. I bought one last year that's about 5" now.

Now Aphonopelma sp. "Huachuca" is a dwarf although not as small as joshua and paloma. You could also take a look at E. pachypus. Also called "Stout Legged Baboon" it maxes at about 3" and is remarkable docile for a baboon.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the info all.

I think I should look at making this a sticky.
Personally, I didn't find the other threads all that helpful for a comprehensive list, which is what I intend to do here.

Phlogiellus baeri
Euathuls sp. Chilean Flame

Genus Eucratoscelus
Genus Holothele
Genus Heterothele
Genus Cyriocosmus

Aphonopelma joshua
Aphonopelma mojave
Aphonopelma paloma (which may not be a valid species)
Aphonopelma sp. "paysoni"
Aphonopelma sp. "hualapai"
Aphonopelma sp. "Huachuca"
Aphonopelma cryptethum

P. scrofa
E. pachypus (maybe?)
Yamia sp. "Koh Samui"

ALMOST:
Aphonopelma sp. "paysoni" (Apparently not a dwarf, although often rumored to be)
Metriopelma (Some votes for yes, some for no)
C.fasciatum (small, not quite dwarf)

Also interesting---both H.incei and H.villosella are communal AND dwarves. Are other members of these genera also communal?

Last edited:

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
metriopelma? i thought M. zebrata reached 4" legspan? which would make it a small T, not dwarf, or is it a larger example of the genus?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
metriopelma? i thought M. zebrata reached 4" legspan? which would make it a small T, not dwarf, or is it a larger example of the genus?
Dunno. Honestly, I'm sure even the dwarfiest of dwarf species has a giant here and there.

And really, I'm just going for what people here think for a starting point. I might research more fully later on.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's also genus Catumiri...our male matured at about 1.5"

Also, I thought Coremiocnemis tropix was a dwarf species, I'm not sure about the rest of the genus, though.

Cass

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
Theres a certain species of dwarf tarantula here in the Philippines called
Phlogiellus baeri. They are non defensive old world tarantulas. They can easily be handled and are less susceptible to stress.

Last edited:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also...not all species of the Eucratoscelus genus are dwarfs. The smallest (in the hobby at least), as far as I know, is E. pachypus which reach about 4", our mature female is about that size.

In order to classify something as a dwarf, you should set limitations on what a dwarf actually is, as far as max size. Because some T's are just small, especially compared to other members in the same genus. For example, A. minatrix...or E. pachypus. You should set a size (ie 2") that would classify a T as a dwarf. I wouldn't consider E. pachypus a dwarf, their common name is dwarf something or other, however I think that's just in relation to other members of the genus.

Also, like another poster mentioned, the genus Harpactirella are considered dwarfs, as well as the genus Ami.

Cass

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i don't think C fasciatum qualifies as a dwarf either... i swear i've seen a 5 inch female before but 4'' isn't unheard of either.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would say average size of a fully matured female is 3" or less=dwarf. Sound reasonable?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also interesting---both H.incei and H.villosella are communal AND dwarves. Are other members of these genera also communal?

Actually they're not the same genus.

Holothele incei is from Trinidad while Heterothele villosella is from Africa somewheres.

Both are quite cool little T's.

Edit: Just re-read and realized you knew that. I've heard people suggext that Holothele "Norte DeSander" is communal. As I recall somebody was going to try a communal with them but I never saw more on the subject.

Last edited:

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, as I'm a dwarf T lover... usually anything under 2" is dwarf in my eyes, but yeah i guess a standard should be set.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually they're not the same genus.

Holothele incei is from Trinidad while Heterothele villosella is from Africa somewheres.

Both are quite cool little T's.

Edit: Just re-read and realized you knew that. I've heard people suggext that Holothele "Norte DeSander" is communal. As I recall somebody was going to try a communal with them but I never saw more on the subject.
It's ok. I've confused them before. :D
I had a feeling you'd be in this topic a few times. You seem to really like dwarf species--you're in pretty much all the other threads I've seen on it as well.

Ooh! I should get one and name it Gimli! :}

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heterothele gabonensis is also communal.

Also like Ethan, I've also heard that Holothele sp. NDS is communal. I know a few people who keep them communally without any problems.

Cass

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just remembered another one, Cyrtopholis flavostriata, the Virgin Island Pygmy. I think they get up to about 3". I have a 1.5" specimen that has full adult coloration already. She's pretty cute. I don't know if the rest of the genus is that small...