How often can I handle my chilean rose hair?

driller212

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,
I was wondering how often i can handle my chilean rose hair tarantula. She is 10-12 years old (i am the new owner and the previous owner isnt sure of the age) and really seems to enjoy being out of her enclosure even though tarantulas dont have a personality etc since they barely have a brain. But even then she seems to be quite perked up crawling on me/the floor and laying her web all over the place. I am very gentle with her and dont 'push' her into moving anywhere i let her do what she wants, she often climbs into the container i move her in without coaxing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantuls dont enjoy any petting or handleing. It is dangerous for them, and you could get bitten.
My advice is dont handle her at all, or the minimun.

Last edited:

driller212

Arachnopeon
yea i dno. it seems like she is more active out of her cage, and has her spinerettes moving around laying web etc which i feel means that she is enjoying herself..

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea i dno. it seems like she is more active out of her cage, and has her spinerettes moving around laying web etc which i feel means that she is enjoying herself..
It doesn't mean that she's enjoying herself, it means she doesn't know where she is, she knows something strange is happening and so she's laying down webbing because there isn't any there, they use their webbing to navigate. I don't think T's know they're being handled, they just know they're not at their home. And they are more active because to them, they're "lost". They don't move around much in their enclosure because they're comfortable, they're surrounded by their webbing and they're just waiting for food to come by.

Cass

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi guys,
I was wondering how often i can handle my chilean rose hair tarantula. She is 10-12 years old (i am the new owner and the previous owner isnt sure of the age)
Why do you give an age approximation, if the previous owner had no idea? Most adult G. rosea(it is better to use the scientific names, to avoid confusion caused by similar common names) are WildCaught and therefore, no one could tell you how old the tarantula is.

and really seems to enjoy being out of her enclosure even though tarantulas dont have a personality etc since they barely have a brain. But even then she seems to be quite perked up crawling on me/the floor and laying her web all over the place.
What you are witnessing is your tarantula trying to find something familiar/ a good hiding place and its wanderings/ perking up is to that end. She leaves behind web as a kind of trail of breadcrumbs.

A happy tarantula is one that sits in one place for 13 hours, moves a few inches away and then sits there for hours. So, going by this, no T ever 'enjoys' being handled. Some of them tolerate it more, but they don't 'enjoy' being handled. Knowing this, it is up to you to decide how much handling is too much. We rarely handle ours, because even if they are calm and easily to handle; they act stressed once they are back in their enclosure. Nothing make me regret handling more than a pouting T......

I am very gentle with her and dont 'push' her into moving anywhere i let her do what she wants, she often climbs into the container i move her in without coaxing.
That is good. You should also remember to always sit on the floor and keep your hands close to the floor to prevent injury from a fall.

It is always handy when they stroll right into the cup, isn't it?:D My theory on that is that they like enclosed spaces and they interpret it as safe place. Who knows if i'm right though, after all, i'm not a tarantula!:D

Welcome to the hobby/ addiction!:D

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well avicularia man, what is your opinion on the subject?
I hold my T's. I would say once or twice a week for like 2-5 minutes each time is okay. but I wouldn't dig my T's out of a burrow or anything like that to hold it. I mainly only hold my A. Versicolor. The G. Rosea and A. Hentzi are my kid's, so I don't bother with them other than to care for them (feed and water them). I don't hold my A. Metallica much because it is only 1/2" and I don't hold my B. Emilia because it is always in it's hide. And the few times I have held it, it was a pet rock. It just sat there, which is boring. My A. Versicolor jumps and walks everywhere when I hold it. I always hold them over something soft and always close to whatever I have it over. Like 6" above. I don't want it to get hurt when I hold it. I don't see why people get so uptight about holding a T. I could understand removing it from it's hide or burrow being a problem, but I don't see what's the big deal to pick your T up and hold it for a few minutes from time to time if it is out in the open and exploring anyways. With my A. Versicolor making webbing, I don't get to hold it as much. If it is in it's web tunnel, I don't bother it. That is it's version of a hide after all.

I just knew that this thread would turn into a "don't hold your T's" thread, instead of people wanting to actually tell the guy how often is to often on holding. That's what happened to the last thread that somebody started to ask the same question.

Last edited:

driller212

Arachnopeon
well thanks guys i guess i dont want to stress her too much :s. Um the previous owner also had the tarantula her whole life but he wasnt 100% sure of the age btw.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im sorry but the OP was asking for opinions; Well that was my opinion.
They dont enjoy being held and move around/pet or and stress. They dont.

Now, do you want to handle them? Go ahead, they are yours.
But theres no such thing as " 5 min is ok, 7 is bad" . They dont enjoy any bothering,period.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im sorry but the OP was asking for opinions; Well that was my opinion.
They dont enjoy being held and move around/pet or and stress. They dont.

Now, do you want to handle them? Go ahead, they are yours.
But theres no such thing as " 5 min is ok, 7 is bad" . They dont enjoy any bothering,period.
Well said ;)

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For millions of years, when a bigger creature came close to a tarantula, it was to kill/eat it! Being the object of manipulation meant death... So I am pretty much sure that it is still a stressful experience for them.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I might handle my T (rosea) about each week or two. Sometimes its just a few minutes, sometimes she will sit still on my arm, once even for 20 minutes while I watched TV.

It all depends on how the spider "feels" that day. If it stays mellow, and takes frequent breaks in its crawling, or sits still for up to several minutes, that's pretty good.

If it starts crawling non stop, or gets faster, then its getting stressed and its time to let her back to her hide/home. Sometimes they do the "shy spider" pose, they sit still, but are huddled up, legs covering eyes.

When I let her back into her cage, she will usually go for her hiding spot, if she doesnt, and is looking "lost" or pacing around, I'd carefully guide her to the hide using a soft brush ( I've rarely seen her do a threat pose, unless she's really spooked-but just in case she freaks out, its not my fingers on the line!)

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It could be a stressful experience. Or it could be nothing. You could handle her every day for the rest of her life without incident, or you could drop her and kill her, or get bit. Anything's possible. You just have to keep that in mind and always be careful.

First, I would recommend always cupping and removing your T from its cage before handling. They are much less defensive when they're off their turf.

Second, keep them close to the ground and/or above a soft surface to decrease the damage done if they do fall.

If you're handling them carefully enough, I'd venture to say that they might not even really know that they're being handled, and you're just a nice warm surface to sit on ;)

Some spiders are more jittery and less likely to sit still than others. Some are more defensive... so the "rules" kind of vary by individual. You just won't know until you try. Just keep in mind the risks.

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You stated "even though tarantulas don't have a personality etc since they barely have a brain." you might consider that they are smart enough to have you working for them 'round the clock..

Fact is, we try and equate them to some higher humanized form all the time in so many ways. First off, several species do have a "personality" to a degree that we associate with behavior traits which makes them desirable to some.

In their own way, they are quite able to figure out an escape route, where shelter is, What is a possible prey item or a threat, where obtainable moisture is and so on and so fourth. The other fact is they have been around for some 450,000,000 million years and for the most part unchanged. That does not equate to brain power per say but does say something for them being able to figure out how to survive up to this point. They may be here after we're gone. Who knows.

As for handling, I'd say if you want to do it. But again as stated above, they don't need any human interaction whatsoever for any reason other than to perhaps save them from a fall or some other disaster. They don't need it, they don't want it and they don't benefit from it in any way. Some simply allow it for a period of time. For some, there is a stress factor involved. The best thing for them observe and learn from your observations and husbandry trial and error. Lastly, just allow them to do what they do and what they are. Nothing more than a spider. A happy spider is an unseen spider.
Best of luck.

CMAC

Arachnopeon
Idk

I don't know any of this stuff,but I know you can hold them for 5 minutes.Well it's your choice,but people don't want you to because they probably lost their tarantula doing it or they're scared.For me,I would hold it to make my spidey tame.(If it can be tame!)But what you can do is watch how the spider reacts to a certain amount of minutes.If it's running all over the place,put it back,staying calm,you can hold it a little longer,and if it's jumping,flicking hairs,and biting you definitely put it back!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know any of this stuff,but I know you can hold them for 5 minutes.Well it's your choice,but people don't want you to because they probably lost their tarantula doing it or they're scared.For me,I would hold it to make my spidey tame.(If it can be tame!)
Yeah, thats what it is. Im scared of my tarantulas, thats why I have had thousands and bred dozens for 14 years.

About the handleing thing...OF COURSE with any doubt,the tarantula does not know that she is being handled in the hands of his owner "J.Smith" and that she wont be hurted...For crying outloud.But thats not the point, the point is that,for them, thats a stress situation. From stress situations comes the run and fall,the bites,the hair kicking...And in the end, you are shortening the life of your animal or putting them in danger for no reason at all.

But hey, do as you please.