So im thinking of a Scorpion.

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im a keen Tarantula owner but highly interested in scorpions.
Although i want to know more about them before i decide to own one for myself.
Is there any have-to-know facts i should be told about?
Also for future referance..
What would be the best scorpion for the less experienced?

TheScorpionLord

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

sup man and welcome to the scorpion keeping lol
what I personally recomend would be the Centruroides Vittanis very common scorpion I have several myself very hardy keeping, of course the Emperor but depends if you have the right heating lamp cage and the soil that they need, I would get the Giant Hairy Scorpion native to arizona but start off with one because one can live in a cage at a time, I will getting some by spring

thats pretty much it man need questions feel free to PM me, Im only 20 but scorpions is my life and have been for a long time and its a passion :D

alright man Good Luck to you
Tim

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! i will definately read up on them all! If its not a new scorp then its a new tarantula! haha.

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you know how to care for tarantulas I think you probably know how to care for scorpions. Just read about what kind of environment the species you get lives in and then feed it crickets or roaches.

I think P. Imp. is a great starter for the simple reason that it is huge and cool looking and basically impossible to hurt yourself with. They arn't very active though and do need lots of moisture and some heat if your home is on the cooler side.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Making the transition from tarantulas to scorpions is an easy one. Unlike tarantulas, scorpions cannot climb glass or other smooth surfaces. This makes cage maintenance easier because you do not have to worry as much about escapes.

The majority of scorpion species are not dangerous to humans and almost all the dangerous species belong to the buthid family. When choosing a first scorpion one should generally go with something with a weaker venom that is hardy. Below is a list of species that are easy to maintain in captivity and are considered good beginner species-

Hadrurus sp. (Any N.A.)
Vaejovidae sp. (Any N.A.)
Hadogenes sp. (Any)

Centruroides vittatus
Liocheles australasiae

Pandinus sp. (Proper humidity and ventilation must be maintained)

I do not recommend Heterometrus sp. due to the lack of knowing what individual species you are actually getting. The genus is so messed up that there is several species going around all under the same common name. You could end up with H. longimanus, H. laoticus, or H. spinnifer. In my experience any of these species can be defensive (especially H. laoticus), and the sting, although not specifically dangerous, can be quite painful.

Cheers,
Nate

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for all the advice! ill definately take it all into consideration. If there just like taking care of tarantulas then im sorted!
Ill have a look through all the species suggested.
youve been alot of help
Thanks again !

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am a scorp guy and am slowly transitioning into Tarantulas, so kinda opposite of you. Here are my recommendations:

Emperor scorpions (Pandinus Imperator) are not that hard to keep, even with the heating and humidity aspect. If you make a false bottom setup, which is a layer (about an inch) of gravel on the bottom of the tank, then put about 4-6 inches of coco fiber on top of that, and put a tube you can pour water down to the gravel layer, you will be all set for humidity. For heating just use a heating pad on one side of the tank. When my emp gets cold I will see her up against the heating pad. They are quite hardy, and big so it is a good beginner scorp.

Also hadrurus arizonensis are good too. They are pretty big and fun to watch while the eat. They do love to burrow, so a mixture of sand and excavator clay is recommended about 6 inches deep, you may not see them ever (one of mine I did not see for about 6 months or so) but when they do come out it is like you forgot you had one and it is like you got a new one again. If you want to see it just use a few inches of sand and give it some hides. I have not done this, but I have heard of people doing it, and I might try it if I get another one so I can actually enjoy it. You don't really need to worry about humidity maybe just give it a small water dish, or mist lightly it once a week. Temperature isn't too bad either, they are hardy. Just make sure your substrate is dry so they don't get a micodial infection.

Those are the 2 basic beginners I have experienced. I know other people recommend flat rock scorpions (Hadogenes sp. ) I haven't owned one, but I would like to get one.

Welcome to another addicting hobby.