specific Q re 'powerfeeding' - pics

sAdam

Arachnopeon
I have decided that I would like to maximize the growth rate of my P. Murinus

I am currently feeding him a cricket of approx the size pictured every other day. He takes this food without hesitation.
His habitat is kept at approx 78 deg F.

does this already fit the description of 'powerfeeding'?

could i increase the frequency of feeding to once a day?

Attachments

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you want to maximize growth, then why don't you just feed it after it finishes the previous meal?

sAdam

Arachnopeon
i just assumed that 2 crickets that size would be way too much at once.
perhaps not.
i suppose i'll try that after he finishes chewing up the last one.

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah LoL...Especially OBT's they eat like crazy!!! I'm currently Power Feeding my Lasiodora parahybana (About to molt so not now...) and P.Regalis slings I have!!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
If you want to maximize growth, then why don't you just feed it after it finishes the previous meal?
+1

Powerfeeding is feeding one food item after the other until the T wont take anymore. Then you try again a couple of hours later. Then do it all over again the next day. Temps should be no lower than 80F for maximum efficiency.

Remember to keep your T fully hydrated at all types. The specific method of keeping the spider hydrated would vary for each species.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your OBT doesn't look "powerfed" yet... OBTs are pigs, so I would offer it multiple prey items per day.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed my OBT 2 or 3 times and he's molting again. It's kinda ridiculous how fast he's grown without any attempts at powerfeeding.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feed my OBT 2 or 3 times and he's molting again. It's kinda ridiculous how fast he's grown without any attempts at powerfeeding.
I agree.

I'd personally stick with feeding every other day, but that's just me. :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't feed more than a couple of those every other day, but that's just me.:)

Our P. murinus doesn't eat multiple prey like our other Ts. It will kill each prey individually and come back to them; instead of just shoving them in one after another. We do try and powerfeed a bit, but to be honest we're not very good at it; now that I can't help.:eek: I kinda see that as a good thing. We feed B. lateralis though, a colony is invaluable after you get so many slings. :D

(Of course it would be nice to see it......:rolleyes: Since we put it in the new enclosure, all we see is a little patch of web above a burrow.......... behind a stick.:cool:)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lol a few of mine "look" powerfed, because I provide really large prey items.. but then they don't eat for a week or two.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How does it 'look' powerfed? :?

You'd think if it had a large abdomen, it would look...healthy?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How does it 'look' powerfed? :?

You'd think if it had a large abdomen, it would look...healthy?

No, I don't think the powerfed look is healthy. The pictured OBT looks healthy.

I feed large prey items after a molt if their abdomen is really tiny, to boost them back up.. they look like what people call "powerfed" slings, but I don't purposefully keep my Ts obese like that, trying to speed up their growth.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
:rolleyes:

Feeding one large prey item after a molt, then waiting until their abdomen goes back to a regular size before getting them back on a normal feeding schedule is NOT powerfeeding... unless everyone else is wrong about it too.