Should i ever totaly clean out slings cages?

Tecnition4life

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering if i ever should totally clean out the cage, meaning taking out all the sticks, the webs, all that stuff. Cause my p.irminia will eat in its burrow and then put the remains under it sometimes. I don't want them to grow mold either so should i clean it entirely out, if so how often should i do this?

finny

Arachnopeon
I'm fairly new and I've wondered the same for a while and I was told it wasn't necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to do it every now and again. Maybe others will have a different opinion though.

Jilly1337

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just pull out the nasties as needed. They usually outgrow the enclosure before they would really need an entire change out. I am used to my arboreals and they grow much faster than, say, a rosie. Even still, you they are likely to grow enough to NEED to be moved within a molt or 2. If you see anything like mold or fungus, change it then. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With my Avic slings,I change the substrate every other week as needed.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why do you change the substrate so much? You would only need to change the substrate if it starts to mold, or there are mites in the substrate.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I have to agree with Mr. Thompson here, changing the substrate every week to them, is like if you would move to a different house every week (sorry for the anthropomorphism-like comparison). Changing the substrate is not recommended unless there's a good reason that warrants such an action (i.e. the ones Thompson mentioned).

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had some mold issues.We just received 6 inches or so of rain,and the humidity in my apt has spiked.With unseen food remains and the such,things tend to go downhill quickly,so as of late I have been changing it much more often than normal.....Not really my choice at the moment,but at least the slings are still healthy and happy.(I should mention that I am using the small Micheals cubes,inverted.It does not disturb them in the least as far as I can tell.)

Fasciatum

Arachnopeon
i don't think it's that neccesary, in the begginners guide it says you should totally clean an enclosure once each year, but you can do it every 3 month to not stress the T, that's what i would do... But i'm new to the hobby aswell so can't promise it'll do fine :)

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
i don't think it's that neccesary, in the begginners guide it says you should totally clean an enclosure once each year, but you can do it every 3 month to not stress the T, that's what i would do... But i'm new to the hobby aswell so can't promise it'll do fine :)
Yeah, don't mean to diss the beginners' guide, but I don't clean an enclosure, period, unless there's a real need to. I have enclosures which have had the same substrate for years and a healthy tarantula inside. :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol.

Agreed!

I only mess with the substrate if a situation calls for it... I don't change it without cause, or especially on a set schedule of time.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, don't mean to diss the beginners' guide, but I don't clean an enclosure, period, unless there's a real need to. I have enclosures which have had the same substrate for years and a healthy tarantula inside. :)
like Wise... u need micro organism.... in your soil...

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
I never clean my slings enclosures. However, if I do feel like they're getting cramped, I transfer them to bigger enclosures.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
use isopods for damp enclosures, a sling should 'usually' outgrow it's enclosure before it needs cleaning. My adult cobalt has not been disturbed in 6 years and still has a clean closure, she has about 30 pill bugs to keep her company lol..