I think your best and cheapest bet will be the freezer.
I thought about euthanizing my MM G.rosea last night as he was looking pretty awful. My fiance thought putting him in the freezer was cruel somehow, which I may discuss with her later, but end result--I put him in ICU, figuring as long as I wasn't freezing him I might as well do everything I could.
Turned out not to matter in the end, and personally I would have rather frozen him than make him "suffer," for a few more hours. And I use quotes because, personally, I doubt they have a capacity for suffering. Really, most of the suffering was probably on my end.
Anyway, just for future reference--is there any way to put them down other than the freezer? I saw some threads about alcohol, but I'm not sure how that works, and I am 100% unwilling to try the "boot method" suggested in other topics.
Ah, well, do some research through here so you have some supporting evidence that it's not torture for the spider.
Ultimately, I just don't think that's going to be a productive conversation with her. Gotta choose my battles, lol.
She's not creeped out by my spiders in the least, but she's on the other end of the spectrum--they're fuzzy and cute and have feelings, and putting them in a cold,dark freezer is mean. Emotional response on her part rather than logical--but that's part of why I love her. I'm too cerebral sometimes. But that's really neither here nor there.
I'm not 100% convinced T's don't have some sort of emotions, but I will say I am 99% convinced, and the remaining 1% is absolutely sure that if they do, it is something much simpler and more alien than our own.
Ultimately, one could make the case that euthanizing a T is inherently futile as they don't suffer, so "putting it out of it's misery" doesn't really apply--BUT I feel miserable watching a T linger, even if the T itself is not in any pain or experiencing emotional suffering. So, I want to have some sort of way to put a T down if ever I should need to.
FP: Maybe a CO2 before a freeze would satisfy her. They'd be knocked out prior to freeze.
Last edited by jebbewocky; 01-25-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Maybe, if you want to spend the extra time and resources. Up to you.
Yeah, toss the spider and a chip of dry ice in a container that's nearly airtight (so air exits as the dry ice sublimates). The CO2 will knock the spider out, then you can put the whole setup in the freezer for a few hours.
You might also remind her that darkness, solitude, and confinement in small spaces are all things tarantulas like. The only think they probably don't like about the freezer is the cold.
For a cold-blooded animal, death by way of cold is about as non-cruel and efficient as you can get. Over thinking the task is unnecessary.
"Hence, if we supplement natural science by introducing the conception of God into its context for the purpose of rendering the finality of nature explicable, and if, having done so, we turn round and use this finality for the purpose of proving that there is a God, then both natural science and theology are deprived of all intrinsic substantiality." -- Immanuel Kant, Critique of Judgement
It would be real quick if you can get your hands on a thermos of liquid nitrogen.
My reviews: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show...t=steven+valys
The heaviest block you can find and dropped from a height onto the critter.
If I had the choice,I know what I would prefer.....freezer or head smashed in with one go......very quickly !
BTW.....how do people know what the pain thresholds are for T's and if they suffer while being "freezed" ?
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)