Avics and drinking water

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
I know my larger Avic avic only comes out of her silk lair late at night....party girl I guess. Anyway I read a thread on here about them not coming down to the water dish and I started to worry that perhaps she was not drinking enough. SO I tried somthing different. Now I always spritz up her enclosure including the plants and the cork log running up like a tree, but last night I soaked the heck out of the glass leaving tons of drops all over and even made sure she got "rained" on. Well I got up a little later and lo and behold she was walking all over the glass sucking up water. It was very cool to watch I kept spritzing and as long as it was a gentle spray she did not even mind getting wet. She just kept drinking. SO this tell me she was really thirsty and Now I know how to make sure she gets water. This is the most activity I have seen out of her since I got her a few months ago.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Try misting her web thats the way all my avics drink

All the best
Brendan;)

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't have a water dish in any of my Avic enclosures. The way you described is how I get them water, usually I spray their webs and the sides so they can drink off of them. I have never worried either about getting the T slightly wet, it dosen't seem to bother them as long as it is a light mist.

My avics never go down to the substrate, but I have wondered if they would if they knew there was water down there? Something to experiment with I guess. But I know they are getting water from the way I currently do it.

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrFeexit
Well I got up a little later and lo and behold she was walking all over the glass sucking up water. It was very cool to watch I kept spritzing and as long as it was a gentle spray she did not even mind getting wet. She just kept drinking. SO this tell me she was really thirsty and Now I know how to make sure she gets water. This is the most activity I have seen out of her since I got her a few months ago.
Hee hee. Bungee does that too. He's like a little vacuum. Actually, I once accidentally got him to drink *off* of my arm, which was a really weird sensation - it felt like he was running his fangs over me. Now I just let him drink off the glass. He seems to look forward to the "rain". :)

Greensleeves

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As they say, "ask and you shall receive".

You didn't need us to tell you anything, you figured it out on your own...right? Anyway, good luck with your Avics.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For my arboreals, I silicone a water dish on the side of the enclosure, near their lair.

Andy

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you have a pic, I'd like to see that?

Do they to use the water dish?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderTwin
Do you have a pic, I'd like to see that?

Do they to use the water dish?
I hot glue a 3/4 oz. condiment cup to a fake branch in my avic's enclosures (I use 12" tall rubbermaid type square plastic enclosures that have a screw on lid, I either drill the lid full of holes or drill a 2" hole in the lid and hot glue microscreen to cover the hole). I prefer to mount the water dish to the decorations inside rather than the side of the enclosure so the enclosure can be used for another inhabitant later on if needed. there is always substrate in the water dish so I would say it is safe to think the avics use the higher mounted water dishes. I also dribble water on their webbings weekly when the water dish is refilled.
Ed

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I also mostly just put water drops on the glass, or in their webs.
Seems to work really well with the avics...