odd webbing?

valcan222

Arachnopeon
hi everyone, so my G. rosea is webbing, and i just had a quick question about it. threw the reasurch i have done they dont tend to we too awfull much unless they make a web matt on the sub for moulting or seal off a hide or something else, i also realise that each individule may have its own habbits and that random webbing is not uncommon ether. what my rosea is doing though seems different. she is in a 5 gal, and she has webs coming from every side of the tank down to the place she sits, or very close to it. so all her webbing is coming to a center point from all the edges of the tank. i was just curious if anyone elses rosea has ever done something like this.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have a G. rosea, and I haven't seen this paricular behavior, but I assum its likely she set them up as sensors, so if something walks in that area, she'll know it.

My B. vagans wants to be an OBT though, it's got some pretty crazy webbing going on. (nothing thick like an OBTs webbing, but definately there)

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds awesome
They do what they do for their own reasons.
maybe its "wow i got this whole area to decorate and set up a trap!"
or "I hate this substrate my human goon gave me"
take your pick.
I think if its just alot of webbing, the spider is healthy and seemingly "happy", its nothing to worry about.
heres one of my G. rosea...theres web on everything and she seems to use it as a sensory device to catch crickets...they touch anywhere in there and shes on them from across the tank.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My rosie also webs randomly when she is feels like being active.
:)

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mine G. rosea does this as well. I havn't seen her in months, she hid herself away in a burrow... so technically she has done this, but is not currently doing this... got it ? {D

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got mine yesterday and shes already building a nice big web covering the floor of her house and up the side of the fake plant :D my A. Avicularia, built quite the impressive tunnely thing against the side of the tank. :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our G. rosea webs like crazy. She has put a mat of webbing all over the ground in her 10 gallon tank and has the air above webbed in some kind of crazy laser grid. She is constantly adding web, especially while doing the happy dance as she's eating. Currently, she has decided she is a bulldozer.:D

pdxjeff

Arachnopeon
Mine just molted, and was due for a tank cleaning, so I replaced her substrate and cleaned everything. I hadn't even gotten her out of her tank to clean it when she started webbing like mad, up my arm, in her holding bucket, etc. Within 3 hours of putting her back into her spotless tank with new substrate (same as before, just fresh), she was climbing the glass, webbing everything - substrate, water dish, walls, hide, etc. She has subsequently pushed all of the substrate out from under her hide, so that it sits on the glass, making me wonder if it's too warm - she seems to like it, though. One of the side effects of her being so warm is that she moves like lightning now.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine is also doing same thing right now webbing around. cute girl {D

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine just molted, and was due for a tank cleaning, so I replaced her substrate and cleaned everything.
Tarantulas do not need the substrate replaced, unless there is some sort of infestation. It just stresses the T out.:)