Help with identifying

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi!

I just recieved this little bugger today alog with a juvenile P. Murinus "Usambara".

Here's the pic: http://satangolga.mine.nu/bilder/DSC00333.JPG

The guy that i bought it from didn't know the exact species, but he was told it was some sort of baboon.
It's probably much to early to tell what it is but i realize that there are alot of really experienced people here so I thaught that perhaps someone might recognize it. If not, all guesses will be appreciatetd :)

I am a bit "fresh" to the hobby so all help will be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

David / Sweden

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have some kind of African trapdoor or tunneling spider. It's not a tarantula.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that spider is a trapdoor spider. most trapdoors that are sold in europe are Idiops sp. angry little buggers! GREAT FUN!

in a view days he'll digg a hole, spin a silk tunnel and you'll never see it again!

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you sure?!

Those are really venomous right?

hmm... I thaught that it looked a little "naked" with no hair on it, but I thaught that it might grow out once it becomes a little bigger...

Anyone know exactly how venomous this is?

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Allright, I talked to the guy who i bought it from and he told me that he bought it as a Kilimanjaro Baboon Tarantula... Not that it really matters... I was just a little surprised.

Thanks for the quick replies btw.

Wh1teshark

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its definately not a tarantula in my opinion.Id have to agree with the others and say its some sort of trapdoor

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say trapdoor or a tunneling spider, definitely not a tarantula.

Andy

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My local pet store guy sells those as "trapdoors".

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My immediate reaction was "thats not a tarantula... its a trapdoor."

So I would agree with the general concensus

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am aware that this thread should probably be moved to "Other Arachnids".
I took him out of his petbox and added much more substrate, about 10-15 cm, which would be more suitible for this species i was told. I also made a little "hole" a bit smaller than the spider so that he could start his new cave. At first he ran down the hole and sat there for a few hours. Then he came up and sat towards the plastic wall of the box.

I have heard that it is really important that these spiders start building a cave soon, or else they will die. Anyone heard the same thing?

Feel kind of ripped off, but I'm not sure the guy who sold it to me knew what it was, although it dosn't seem that hard to tell if you have experience.

I don't really know what to do with him. If anyone here lives in Sweden and feel like getting a new pet for free, contact me.

Best regards,

David

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eh, I used to want a trap door. The whole idea of building a trap door seemed pretty neat to me. But in all actuality, I find the little boogers ugly as sin. They look like 8 legged walking pieces of phlegm. Plus, from what I understand, their venom is supposed to be fairly toxic. I guess if you don't play thieir trip line like a banjo you will be fine.

Jon

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
black trapdoor it looks to me, i seen one at a show one time and guy the guy said it is fast and rather pissy and on the croc hunter he said the trapdoors have pretty good venom on them not as bad as the the other deadly spider from sidney, sidney funnel web i think? but it is bad over in sidney:} have fun and try not to get bit.

Josh

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jguy001
black trapdoor it looks to me, i seen one at a show one time and guy the guy said it is fast and rather pissy and on the croc hunter he said the trapdoors have pretty good venom on them not as bad as the the other deadly spider from sidney, sidney funnel web i think? but it is bad over in sidney:} have fun and try not to get bit.
Josh

The trapdoors are not dangerous for humans and they dont belong to the same family as Atrax robustus or other australian funnel web spiders.

/Lelle

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
artershock: That's correct :)
I posted a thing about this on SAF's forum.

Anyway,

Does someone know where i can find a caresheet of this spider and the specific scientific name for it?

It does not seem comfortable in his new home. Although he built a house he has already abandoned it, running franticly around the cage scratching the walls.

Thanks,

David

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A freind of mine used to sell these. He put a paper towel cardboard tube in the cage and then fill the substraight to be level with the top of the tube. The spider added the hinged door itself. Worked out great but you will not see the spider much except when it gets it's prey.

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok,

That sounds good. Tube will be added later tonight, forifying myself with cow-hide glowes and allways keeping a eye on the little monster.

Now to temperature and humidity-issues,

What temperature?:

What humidity?:

Thanks for all the help guys!

all the best,

David