Scorpion lover thinking of crossing over...

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah it all happens eventually. Been thinking of picking up a very special spider or tarantula... but I also want a desert hairy :p

So I'm here to ask you Tarantula guys, what would be my best bet? the classic pink toe?

Anything interesting, but not too dangerous/escapes easy?

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To me, crazy webbing = one of the most fascinating things about certain Ts, so I would say to try an OBT or GBB (though you would get this w/ an Avic as well). You wouldn't be bored, and all are amazing to look at as well. I think you'd be ok with any of these given your experience w/ scorps. Have fun!

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you define "interesting"? Color? Size? What interests you? Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of people throwing out their personal favorites.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree - if you can tell us more of what would interest you, that would be helpful.

But either way - I second P. murinus (OBT). They are amazing webbers, gorgeous colouring, feisty, great eaters... a really fun spider!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was into scorpions,and burned out on them fast due to the fact that they did,well,nothing....I am with everyone else on the OBT..... Or even a GBB.....

Nymphenee

Arachnopeon
Going to agree with the folks who suggested GBB. Just got myself one. She immediately started webbing once I put her in her enclousre yet she's always out in the open. Gorgeous T and quick enough to be interesting without causing problems. From what I hear they also eat like monsters and grow at a decent-fast pace.

I would also recommend Avics. I love the webs they make and they're some of the prettiest Ts in my opinion. Though they aren't always out.

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
I also vote for the GBB (Chromatopelma cyanopubescens). I think you will really enjoy it - They are beautiful and the webbing is always a nice plus. You may end up getting both a GBB and an OBT (Pterinochilus murinus) eventually though, who knows.

Welcome to the T section, btw. :D

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was looking around... what about Avicularia versicolor?
i love the coloration and theyre "supposedly" docile, although jumpers. And it'd be nice to have a pet to show off to people (all of my emps are pet holes :/)

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An avic would probably be fine, just remember that Ts are a bit more sensitive to humidity/conditions than most scorpions and you should be ok with just about anything you pick.

Dont be afraid to ask questions if you think something is wrong, too.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An avic would probably be fine, just remember that Ts are a bit more sensitive to humidity/conditions than most scorpions and you should be ok with just about anything you pick.

ahh yeah i keep forest scorps so i know how humidity and temp is.
just looking. i might not pick one up for a year or more but i've only heard rose hair/pink toes are good beginner tarantulas

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
i love the coloration and theyre "supposedly" docile, although jumpers. And it'd be nice to have a pet to show off to people (all of my emps are pet holes :/)
You can't go wrong with a versi. :D

They are quite docile and very nice looking Ts. They can be fast, but I haven't found that to be too much of a problem, IME.

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
an avic would probably be fine, just remember that ts are a bit more sensitive to humidity/conditions than most scorpions and you should be ok with just about anything you pick.

+1

:)

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After keeping scorps for a while, I eventually started investing in Ts also. My first purchase were 2 A. versicolor slings. One died while molting, but the other is doing great. I enjoy it alot. I would recommend it, just make sure you keep it humid, but well ventilated. Also if you get it as a sling, there is a chance that it will die (the whole sudden death syndrome thing), but like I said one of my slings is still kicking and growing. I have had it for about 6 months or so, maybe a bit longer.

Anyways, prepare for another addiction, I thought the versi's were going to be it for me, but I was very wrong. I love them just about the same as scorps!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When I first got into the hobby seriously, A. versicolor was at the top of my list after I got my OBT.

I love my versi.. gorgeous little T, voracious eater, and has always made really cool looking web tubes and hammocks. A lot of people have problems with slings and SADS (Sudden Avic Death Syndrome... the random die off of Avic slings for no apparent reason)... but most people conclude that it is do to husbandry issues... so if you know about humidity and moisture needs, you should be set!

Nymphenee

Arachnopeon
Versis were the third/fourth Ts I got. I was just getting into the hobby (had a T but really didn't know a lot about caring for it/wasn't very interested in it) and had very little experience. I was able to take care of them no problem. Just make sure they have enough cross ventilation and enough humidity (but not too much!) and you should be fine. All my Avics are sweet hearts. A little jumpy and quick but completely manageable.

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree - if you can tell us more of what would interest you, that would be helpful.

But either way - I second P. murinus (OBT). They are amazing webbers, gorgeous colouring, feisty, great eaters... a really fun spider!
OBT all the way, since you have experiance with scorps. you cant go wrong with this sp. hard to kill, pretty, grow fast, web alot, and are really cheap. go with an obt all the way.

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i wouldnt go with an avic for your first spider, thier nice and pretty but thier not where near as hardy as a gbb or obt.