Emperor Scorpion

jokernyc2

Arachnopeon
i recently purchased an emperor scorpion. when i received him, he was some what docile. now hes just really really aggressive. i caught my younger brother taunting the scorp one day... could that be the reason? is there anyway to make him more docile?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how about, don't stress them out and treat them like crap. that goes for anyone who goes near them

jokernyc2

Arachnopeon
i do not "treat him like crap" i never tried to pick him up..
just when i reach over the tank; which is located on my desk, he would strike.
or when ever i go to refill his water

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ime, the young ones are more reactive to just about any vibration they can sense, more than the adults I've had. I'm happy to see them act like that, to me it's a sign that they are healthy. Sometimes you get some that are lazy acting that are healthy, but over the years I've noticed that animals like reptiles and some inverts will act passive when you first get them home if they've been in an environment that has had a lot going on around them. Places like pet stores where they are crammed in with each other, having to put up with each other, a lot of noise, or bouncing around in a car on the way home. I think it kind of desensitizes them. Then when they get back in a quiet environment, maybe their senses aren't as overloaded anymore and start to wake up again to more sensitive stimuli around their new pad, that's how it looks to me anyway.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats what my female was like and so where most of her scorpionlings what you can do is maybe dare i say work with it ik alot of people dont support handeling of scorps but it may work if it gets used to getting picked up all the time but i dont really mess with mine to much and i dont have to big of a problem with aggression but yea the reason he was so calm at first is b/c new enviroment but yea just my 2 cents

jokernyc2

Arachnopeon
hmmm, im a bit nervous to try and pick it up LOL my scorp gets scared easily by any noise or movements.
tries to pinch with his claws.... quick to go into attack.
i guess conditioning it to be more docile is a good idea.. if i can get him on my HAND lol..

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He's perfectly fine the way he is. I would actually prefer a scorpion that aggressive and active over a docile one. It's probably a sign that he doesn't want to be messed with anyways, so I would say no to the handling.

winter_in_tears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a lot is also based on the scorpions individual character. If it gets aggressive every time you try to pick it up, then don't touch it.

It's ok, some emperors just don't like to be handled while others don't mind it. Happens all the time.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had one emperor years ago, and it was as defensive as your average Heterometrus. It was also fairly active for an emperor......... I think it was wild-caught, which was probably the main reason for its disposition.

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It could also be the temperture. At warmer temps scorpions tend to be more active.